Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few simple questions about building a retro MS-DOS gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:45 AM

Hi, 

I was thinking of possibly building a PC desktop tower from scratch parts. Possibly using new or new-old-stock parts or whatever I can find. I'm kind of wanting to build a retro MS-DOS box for gaming and other uses. My questions are simply this:

1) what kinds of CPU processors were commonly used around the 1995, 1996 and 1997 time periods?

2) what types and amounts of memory (RAM) were commonly used around the same time frame?

3) which version of MS-DOS would have been commonly used then also?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:17 AM

Cool, i love this topic and my self iv bin doing the computer topic since apple II, if were talking about the 1995 years then were talking about 286/386/486 computers 20mgz~100mgz cpus first pentium were arond too at that time, ram wise 32 gigs would have bin a lot and costly! though my self if you wanted a retro box for old games and software just about anything works in dos 5.0 or newer all the way to win98se though win98 is dos 7.0 but for the most part everything works in that version of dos/windows in any case.

What kind of buget do you have for your vintage system ?

FPS in this demo blows, shows he dousen't have a voodoo1 video card.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

I want to say I had a PII 133 around that time.

RAM still would have been in the MB range, maybe 32MB, possibly 64MB.

DOS version would have been one of the last ones, 6.22 most likely.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

In 1995 this is what 16megs of ram cost.

4Mx36-70 SIMM [72 pin] @ $489 "16megs" so for 64meg = $2000 + tax + inflation = $4000 in 2017

Most people would have still bin trying to camp the 8meg zone and if you didn't know win95 can run off of 2megs of ram if needed, though when its time to game it meant it was time to shut down windows in to pure dos mode to save on ram then you would fire up your game at the command line, people with deep pockets that could afford 16gigs ram could be lazy and run the dos game from windows  ;)

To boot from command line to windows you type in "win" at the command line and it boots windows.

win3.11 you wanted min 1 meg ram though you could do it with less but it was a real pain to do.

As well the first pentium2 were 233mgz at 133mgz you thinking about the p55c Pentium cpus, the very first if i remember right was a 60mgz Pentium and people didn't like it cus it ran hot and needed a heat sink ^^

I still have meany socket 7 Pentium 75mgz in stock as well and boards to run em.

http://www.jcmit.com/memoryprice.htm

http://winsupersite.com/article/commentary/blast-buying-computer-1995-141723

Edited by shadow_647, 01 February 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, it has been 20 years and quite a few machines for me so I'm probably off on the RAM.

I sure do not miss trying to get the most possible RAM free below 640kb.  I think the best I ever got was 610 or so.

Then dealing with interrupts and I/O addresses.  Yeah, I don't want to go back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users