Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with XP Home Processes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 garnetwr

garnetwr

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:21 AM

My machine runs 40+ processes at any given time. I received this machine from a family member who decided they wanted another one since they couldn't get this machine up and running. I downloaded Ad-aware SE, Spybot, a-squared and GIANT Antispyware and removed over 800 pieces of spy/maleware from the machine. I loaded Norton Anti-virus and removed over 100 viruses from the machine. Additionally, I went through and removed, through the Control Panel, all added software that I did not want/need or have the original software. I then ran both a Disk Cleanup and a Disk Defragmentation on the machine. It appears to have leveled off and I no longer have severe issues with running this device; however, I have noticed it takes an enormous amount of time to initially boot-up. After looking at the Task Manager, I realized that this machine is loading a number of processes that apparently use no CPU time.

How can I limit the processes that are loading and how do I ensure that those processes are not needed?

I am using a HP-Pavillion 752, Pentium 4, 2.00 GHz 1.99 GHz, 512MB RAM running XP Home Version 2002 Service Pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:34 AM

To find out what services (processes) are needed check out Black Viper's Web Site

Edited due to link not working, works now :thumbsup:

Edited by Bear, 10 December 2004 - 01:58 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:09 PM

If memory serves me right, you can use Spybot to list and then to control the processes that launch on start up.

Here are some links providing information/advice on which programs should be deleted, etc.:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html

http://www.greatis.com/appdata/necessary.htm
(greatis is very complete, and separates the programs in to necessary, optional, useless, and dangerous categories)

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
(ATW lists them alphabetically and is fairly complete, probably the easiets to use)

Hope this helps
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 December 2004 - 12:11 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:58 PM

Well I run about 32 and have 512 ram only 460 after system takes out what it needs.

#5 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:31 PM

Re reducing processes using SPYBOT:-Spybot has a "kill process " option. Better-- You can go to--Run--services.msc--there you will have the option to disable--or make it manual. You can go back again and change this config anytime as needed. But, I have no clue as to what happens if you"kill' the process. Has anyone used Spybot for this?-- :flowers: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:20 PM

Tools/System Startup in the current version of Spybot seems to work in permanently killing start up items; you need merely to uncheck the boxes by each. Sometimes there is a path or brief description that can aid in making a decision. Obviously, some system processes need to initialise on boot, but many applications (MS Office, any media player,any browser etc.) want to run in the background so they launch more quickly.

ALthough in most cases, there are individual edits you can perform for each application, disabling these one by one can be a frustrating experience (assuming you can find where some applications hide the control) which can be performed more quickly in one place (and you have the option of re-enabling them in an easy manner should you decide some are needed).
Regards,
John

#7 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:58 PM

John,

My question re this process of stopping the startups was the word "kill". I'm guessing that using Spybot "kill" and then you go to Services MSC it will show that the service to be in a "disabled" mode, rather than destoyed or "killed". I will check this--probably a poor use of words in their instructs--overzealus (carried away).

TKKS-- :flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:31 PM

To "kill" a process is to stop it from running; it's like usining the drop down box that comes up with crtr/alt/delete, and is a one-time event. On the other hand, using the other function in Spybot (I use Spybot as an example, because there are many applications that will allow you to do this) will permanently keep the programs from launching on boot.
Outside of a very few necessary Windows programs, perhaps your firewall and anitvirus, there is not much else that should launch of start up, since the other programs or applications are all availble from the Programs Menu. Obviously, reducing the boot programs will make starting the computer much faster, as well as increase the available CPU for programs you are using.
Cheers,
John

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:03 PM

Outside of a very few necessary Windows programs, perhaps your firewall and anitvirus, there is not much else that should launch of start up, since the other programs or applications are all availble from the Programs Menu. Obviously, reducing the boot programs will make starting the computer much faster, as well as increase the available CPU for programs you are using.

I whole-hearted agree with your opinion, John. I typically use the spybot s&d tool to contol startups. It's easy. Uncheck 'em, try it. If it works, delete 'em. :flowers: I typically use a few websites to check & double check opinions about any particular starting process too. Thanks for your post & links. On behalf of novices with questions everywhere, like myself. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users