Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow SMB speeds after a few hours of uptime Server 2012

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 d-shade

d-shade

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

I have a windows storage server 2012 box connected with a 10gb connection. After a restart transfer speed is great(700+ MB/s) but after a few hours the transfer speeds are horrible(300~ KB/s).

This is a low use server so I didn't even know this was going on until recently. Looking at the network performance there is nothing using the network during the slow transfers.

This seems to be affecting only smb transfers as internet traffic seems fine as far as I can tell.

We have a glogic(formerly broadcom) Netextreme II card 2x 10gb 2x 1gb built in. I was initially using a single 10gb connection using a media converter. I removed the media converter thinking that was some how messed up, And for a while was using all four nics in a LACP configuration but the problem persisted.

I installed a fiber network card from sonnet tech thinking maybe the network card was messed up but the problem is still persisting.

I am wondering if anyone has run into something like this. Or know of a solution to maybe fix it?

I am not virtualizing anything on the server and SMB packet signing is turned off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

I can vaguely remember reading an article with Win2012 that some clients (XP and Win7) may still be using SMBv1, you have to do a registry edit and reboot server to force clients to use SMBv2 or 3 from memory.

An article here mate

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696547/how-to-enable-and-disable-smbv1,-smbv2,-and-smbv3-in-windows-vista,-windows-server-2008,-windows-7,-windows-server-2008-r2,-windows-8,-and-windows-server-2012

#3 d-shade

d-shade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:16 AM

Thanks, I will take a look at that tomorrow and try the commands on the server but I am not sure if this is what is affecting me.

The transfers I am doing to test the transfer speed is from the server to our isilon storage cluster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users