Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yubi key, iOS mail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

Hi,

I just recently found out about the Yubi Key as a way of securing a google account with 2 Factor Authentication.

I was interested in using the device, however I found out that the iOS mail app is not compatible with it and that I would need to use a separate app, I believe a gmail app, to take advantage of the feature. Right now I really like the convenience of being able to view multiple e-mail accounts at once in the mail app.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood of Apple and iOS somehow integrating the Yubi Key or maybe a similar device created by Apple that does the same thing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

They're not compatible at present. The Yubikey Neo has support for NFC communication but according to Yubico Apple hasn't opened that up yet to 3rd party developers. Who knows if and when Apple will open that up! If you're going to buy a Yubikey anyway, consider the Neo since it would be the only one that could work in future.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

iPhones have NFC hardware but it is only used for Apple Pay, it is not open to developers for other uses like Yubikey.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the replies, I did see that the Neo Yubi Key has the NFC just like the iPhone 6 and later, but once I saw that it wasn't capable with the mail app I cancelled my order. I'm just kind of wondering what people's thoughts are about Apple's willingness to open that up to third party developers?

I don't really know what Apple would have to give up or allow 3rd parties access to, but to me I almost think Apple likes to have their own products and maybe keep more of their information and products (or potential products), under the Apple brand.

#5 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

iPhones have NFC hardware but it is only used for Apple Pay, it is not open to developers for other uses like Yubikey.

Actually, according to the UbiKey site the UbiKey neo does work with the iPhone, but if you are using a google account you need to be using a google app; which I believe would be the gmail app or the google app.

But you are right that Apple has not opened up the iOS to developers for NFC.

Edited by huntsin2, 01 February 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

Actually, according to the UbiKey site the UbiKey neo does work with the iPhone, but if you are using a google account you need to be using a google app; which I believe would be the gmail app or the google app.

But you are right that Apple has not opened up the iOS to developers for NFC.

This is actually incorrect regarding the U2F. Here is the text from https://www.yubico.com/support/knowledge-base/categories/articles/can-use-yubikey-ios-device-ipad-iphone/

"Yes the YubiKey can be connected to older iPad or iPhone devices (such as iPad 3 or iPhone 4 and older) using Apples Camera Connection Kit, or newer devices (such as iPad 4 or iPhone 5) using a Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter. Only core YubiKey functions (Yubico OTP, Static Password, and OATH-HOTP) are supported. (This means that U2F, OATH-TOTP, and challenge-response are not supported, as well as any CCID-related functions.) For more information, see How to Get Started with YubiKey on iOS Devices."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users