Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having security for modem I plan on buying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RichardCB

RichardCB

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

Hello,

I am trying to save money on my internet service and was planning on buying my own modem and not having to rent from TWC/Spectrum.  

This is what I have presently from TWC :  Ambit U10C018

I checked my download speed with the link TWC provided and I have ~ 17 Mbps. Although this may seem slow to some, it works for my wife and me.

I was reading that a Arris /Motorola Surfboard SB6141 will work even though it will work at much higher speeds (100 Mbps). 

So my question is this : what does TWC mean when they say "You are responsible for security settings on your wireless network".

I thought with the wireless router I own, I have security settings. 

I am a newbie to this and any help would be appreciated.

Richard CB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hdriscoll

hdriscoll

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

I have the SB6141 and no issues with it at all. It's worth it (and easy) to set it up yourself and not have to "rent' a modem. I have Comcast.

What they mean is that you will need to secure your own wireless network. Such as hiding the SSID, creating a strong password so only you can access it and using WPA2-PSK [AES]

Edited by hdriscoll, 31 January 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#3 RichardCB

RichardCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the response. I did change the password and I am using WPA2-PSK[AES].  I did change the name of the SSID, is that what you meant by hiding the SSID ?

#4 hdriscoll

hdriscoll

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

No. There is a setting that says "disable SSID broadcast" or something similar. When it's disabled, random people can't even see your SSID. You're still able to connect, you have to enter the SSID and password manually.

#5 RichardCB

RichardCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the input. I currently have a wireless router and am hooking up a new modem. (returning the one to the cable company).

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

Might want to hold off buying a modem.  Unlike TWC, Spectrum provides a modem for free.  You will need to convert your account over to the Spectrum billing system - it may change your monthly rate.  Give them a call and ask.

Edited by ddeerrff, 10 February 2017 - 02:51 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users