Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operation System not found

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WeiZhangChi

WeiZhangChi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Hello, I hope someone can help.

I have a dell inspirion 17r N7110, which i have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10.  Recently i noticed problems with the hard disk, bad sectors.  So i decided to install a new hard drive, I've done this before on other system and wasn't too concerned.  Took apart the laptop and installed the new HD (western digital)  carefully, put it back together.  I have a bootable USB with windows 10 to use to re install windows.  Turned on the machine, It shows the Dell Inspirion screen (hit f2 setup or f12 boot options).  But then it just goes to a black screen with "Operation System not found"  none of the keys work, f2, f8, f12, ctrl f1, nothing.   I can not get to the BIOS to change the boot order and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't have anything connected to the laptop, no mouse, printer, external hard drive etc. so i know that can't be causing the conflict.  shouldn't be a virus since this is a new HD.

I turned off the machine removed the battery hoping this would reset and give me the options to boot from the USB, but no luck.

Could i have gotten the wrong hard drive?  i don't think so, it had a western digital blue, & I installed a western digital black,  I was very careful to reinstall the ribbons, screws etc, just as i removed them.

Anyone have suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

Does the computer have an optical drive? Does a bootable CD/DVD work?

#3 WeiZhangChi

WeiZhangChi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

Does the computer have an optical drive? Does a bootable CD/DVD work?

It does have an optical drive. I'll create a bootable Cd and see if it will work....... 

The bootable DVD didn't work either.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

If you remove the DVD or USB boot device can you get into your BIOS using F2 or F12? If you cannot access Dell Diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot then I would remove the CMOS battery and replace it with a new one. I would if possible hold the power button down for 30 seconds while the CMOS battery is out.

You could try powercycling the computer before removing the CMOS battery. Pull the main battery and power brick. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the main battery and power brick. Tap F12 while powering on the computer. 

Even if the hard drive was out you should still be able to access UEFI/BIOS. The No Operating System Error indicates the computer is trying to boot off the hard drive and no OS was found on the HDD. I don't know what program you used to create the bootable CD but see if downloading fatdog64 and burning the iso do disk works. fatdog can boot on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled.

Fatdog64-710.iso

You can also use Rufus with a USB flash drive to create a bootable flash drive but if you cannot get to the boot menu by tapping F12 then it most likely will not boot.

#5 WeiZhangChi

WeiZhangChi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

After working on this for hours and trying the listed suggestions and anything else I could find.  I finally gave up and took it to a shop for help.  & well...I'm embarrassed to say what i did wrong.....I installed the keyboard ribbon upside down.  :(

But hey, the laptop is working great now!

Thanks for all the suggestions and the help.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

Dont be embarrassed.....we all make mistakes.

Thank you for posting back here and letting everyone know what the solution was.

I will remember that one !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users