Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wondering what people thought of VPNs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TechGirl504

TechGirl504

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

I was wondering what people thought of VPNs? I have thought about using one to help keep my computer more secure (I use public Wi-Fi a lot). I ran across this: https://securethoughts.com/vpn-review/ and was wondering if anyone else has used it? I like the idea of a 3 month trial for free. I just want to make sure I get the best for my money if I do decide to use a VPN. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

A virtual private network (VPN) essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.As with most other security programs, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best VPN implementation for all situations. There are advantages and disadvantages...each has its own strengths and weaknesses.VPN Service Providers:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 EthanJoshua

EthanJoshua

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

VPN is becoming the must have thing now a days in internet world. You need it in most cases such as..

To unblock websites

For Security and Privacy

To Unblock Sports Channels and streaming websites (netflix, hulu etc..)

To Download torrents securely

These are the few main reasons people are purchasing a VPN, There are lots of more purposes

Best Guide of Security, Torrenting and Streaming are available on USAVPN.com. You can know more there.

Edited by EthanJoshua, 01 February 2017 - 07:00 AM.

#4 Faslow

Faslow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

I totally agree with previous commentators. Nowadays, VPN is a must have for securing your internet activity and making it anonymous and boundless like never before.

Choosing between free or paid VPN, I highly recommend to pay for services. First of all, provider which offers services must enjoy your confidence or you can be snared. In addition, paid VPNs provide more benefits than their free versions, including the number of servers, extra security protocols, more responsive technical support etc. In such a manner, you will stay calm and protected while subscribing for paid VPNs. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

That's why one of the links I provided above states to "Use a paid VPN service".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 CoreyHB

CoreyHB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

I was wondering what people thought of VPNs? I have thought about using one to help keep my computer more secure (I use public Wi-Fi a lot). I ran across this: https://securethoughts.com/vpn-review/ and was wondering if anyone else has used it? I like the idea of a 3 month trial for free. I just want to make sure I get the best for my money if I do decide to use a VPN. Thanks in advance!

If you use public WiFi connections, do not hesitate - get a reliable VPN now! 

I have used a few different ones, and have not really had bad experiences with any of them. Depending on your AV solution, some of them offer VPN services now as well. Avira, Avast, and Kaspersky come to mind. Hide my Ass VPN, which is listed on that review site, was purchased by AVG within the past year or so I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users