Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two HHD with different OS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

Hi there 

To start with I have tried the search feature but my search FU is weak. I am thinking of putting another hard drive in my computer that has windows 8.? on my computer that runs windows 10 so I can play some games that do not work with windows 10 is that possible. Sorry if this has been asked before if it has please point me in the right direction 

Thank You

John

John

An Australian Living in the USA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

I don't know how to do it, however, I'm thinking the boot loader [probably from "C drive"] has to be able to detect and give you the two OS load/startup options.  I think bcdedit[?] can help with that.  From what I remember, the normal way to educate the boot loader was to install one OS first, then install the other OS second; I have no idea if simply installing a 2nd HD will educate the boot loader -- maybe bcdedit can help with that, maybe not.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 January 2017 - 03:05 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Yes you can, and it works great. I currently have W10, W7 Ultimate and XP Pro on 3 separate HDDs (except my W7 is an SSD). When I boot, I tap F11 and the boot options window appears and I arrow-down to which drive I want to boot in to, press Enter and it boots that version. The big advantage also is that if one drive fails, I just get another, re-image Windows back on from my backup drive, and I am up and running. To my way of thinking, that is more efficient than partitioning a single HDD and when it fails you loose 3 OSs plus data.

Edited by ranchhand_, 31 January 2017 - 03:34 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

RanchHand, that's great news!  I never knew it could be done -- does bcdedit still help?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#5 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Yes you can, and it works great. I currently have W10, W7 Ultimate and XP Pro on 3 separate HDDs (except my W7 is an SSD). When I boot, I tap F11 and the boot options window appears and I arrow-down to which drive I want to boot in to, press Enter and it boots that version. The big advantage also is that if one drive fails, I just get another, re-image Windows back on from my backup drive, and I am up and running. To my way of thinking, that is more efficient than partitioning a single HDD and when it fails you loose 3 OSs plus data.

Thank you so much

John

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

@ JohnWJ....most welcome!

@ RolandJS...I would think it should, but never thought about using it;  the boot options menu comes from the BIOS, whereas bcdedit is a Windows command-line utility (and a powerful one, at that). I will have to experiment some day.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:43 AM

JohnWJ - I'm assuming this 2nd HD is Windows-disabled until needed?

#8 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

the second drive is not in a computer at the moment. How do you mean Windows disabled ???

John

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

the second drive is not in a computer at the moment. How do you mean Windows disabled ???

Because I have two internal HDs in the desktop, Control Panel --> Device Manager, locate the 2nd HD not needed for normal use, right-click and left-click Disable -- that will keep explorer.exe from seeing and using the un-needed, 2nd HD.

Edited by RolandJS, 01 February 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#10 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

Because I have two internal HDs in the desktop, Control Panel --> Device Manager, locate the 2nd HD not needed for normal use, right-click and left-click Disable -- that will keep explorer.exe from seeing and using the un-needed, 2nd HD.

Thank  you for the information

John

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

I would not attempt to manually edit the BCD to add another OS drive to the Boot menu. EasyBCD is the preferable method. 

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 February 2017 - 01:05 PM.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

JohnC, I was actually thinking of EasyBCD, I totally forgot the right name until you just now mentioned it!   :)

#13 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

Thanks again but Is there a way to do it if you are already have the computer up and running?. 

John

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

JohnWJ....my apologies for not replying to you; I was on vacation deep in the Idaho Rocky Mountains primitive areas and there was no service of any kind.

If you still need help, please post back.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

Thanks again but Is there a way to do it if you are already have the computer up and running?. 

Hit restart, that will do it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users