Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Licensing Question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

So I know about the free upgrade and not able to do it from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 by normal means without doing a in-place upgrade BEFORE the deadline from last year.

Questions:

- If a machine (Dell for example) came with a downgrade Windows 7 OS (but came with the Windows 10 Recover Media for Reinstallation), does that mean i can use a regular windows 10 DVD/USB stickand do a in-place upgrade without having to uninstall windows 7 and do a full reinstallation to Windows 10. Not sure if a machine that came with downgrade rights have the license embed so that I dont need a key to activate it. I never tried it since I am unsure if I need to enter a license key for manufacturers desktops such as Dell that don't always have license key stickers anymore.

- I assume with regular PCs that never done the windows 10 upgrade before the old deadline will not be able to do a normal in-place upgrade to windows 10 unless I buy a product key for Windows 10. As of right now, I am doing the accessibility website to get the upgrade for customers that want it now but since this can mean a slow process if the internet slow, can I do it with a Windows 10 USB/DVD for a machine that doing it for the first time? I assume not and I will have to stick to the accessibility/online route but wondering what people have to say about this whether you can do it with a Windows 10 USB/DVD from Windows 7/Windows 8 to Windows 10 for first-timers.

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2017 - 02:23 PM.
Moved from W10 Support to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users