Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot uninstall Malware bytes 3 Error 5

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:52 AM

I am with a UK server and have been awarded the free gift of their SuperSafe Boost software. This, I believe, is the F-Secure A said to be worth nearly £100.

I have downloaded this and uninstalled my free Avast AV , as advised.

I had Malwarebytes installed and somehow this has become Malware Bytes 3 which seems to be an AV programme. I get the message "Unable to connect to service" .

I have tried to uninstall this programme only to be told that I cannot uninstall it.

QUOTE: C:\Programme Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\uninst000.dat

can't be opened.   Error 5: access denied   UNQUOTE

If I am to keep the Supersafe Boost software I need to uninstall all other programmes that clash with it.

I am beginning to regret the changes I made as I have had (free)  Avast AV,  the "original" Malwarebytes software, and SuperAnti Spyware Professional for years with no problems.

My PC has slowed down but anti-malware scans say all is well!!!

How can I overcome Error 5, please?

My thanks for any help you can offer.

Windows 7

Internet Explorer 11

Edited by hamluis, 31 January 2017 - 10:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Suggest you uninstall SuperSafeBoost. Once that is done...report whatever problem still exists.

First run a scan using RKill. Then attempt to uninstall SuperSafeBoost using Revo Free Uninstaller.

Do not reboot after the RKill scan is completed.

Download the iExplorer RKill.....RKill Download

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware

EDIT: you may prefer to use F-Secure Removal

to uninstall SuperSafeBoost

Edited by buddy215, 31 January 2017 - 09:30 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

Some extra info

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192309-cant-uninstall-it/

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

Download and run the Super Safe Boost uninstall tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

Thank you ALL for the advice. I do not wish to uninstall Super Safe boost software as it was a "gift" with a special code and if I uninstall it, I lose it permanently.

I would like to uninstall Malware Bytes as I don't need it and, in any case, it is not the "old" one I have used for years.

Any other ideas, please?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

What happens when you choose to uninstall it from the list of installed programs? If you get an error then

first try using MBAM clean uninstall too. Malwarebytes | How do I uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Mal...

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Avira can be downloaded for free. In case you didn't know that. It will install adware along with it. ...Avira SafeSearch Plus.

It is possible you now have that...Avira SafeSearch Plus. If you would like to verify that start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? Forum.

There you will be guided in scanning your computer for adware and malware.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

The correct way to remove most programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel, so always check there first. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the software not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings.

If that does not work and since I think I read somewhere that the Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall Tool (mbam-clean.exe) should not be used on version 3, your best bet would be to ask at the Malwarebytes 3.0 Support Forum.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:10 AM

If you read the link I posted in #3 you will see that the reason you get that error when trying to uninstall is because you have F-secure.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192309-cant-uninstall-it/

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

That posting was made in December 2016. There has been a newer version released with many fixes. If the new version is still having issues with F-Secure, the Malwarebytes Team needs to know.

#11 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:27 AM

Apologies for the delay in replying.

I appreciate all of your advice.

I did use the MB3 uninstall facility but it hasn't worked, In my Add or Remove section it is still listed and I still get the Error 5 message.

I am reluctant to uninstall TalkTalk's  SSB (F-Secure)  as it was a gift from my server for taking part in an online question session. However I think I will have to do this to resolve my problems. I will check with TT first and let you know outcome. Thank you again.

#12 AppFalcon

AppFalcon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

You can try AppFalcon

1. Download AppFalcon - it is a fully functional 30-Day free trial, so you do not have to buy it in order to use it

2. Select MB and follow the instructions

You can also use Force Removal option - just add the MB files

#13 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:57 PM

I followed the above advice, checked with RKill, uninstalled SSB and then MB3 uninstalled easily as you predicted.

I have lost SSB but am not too downhearted!! Need a free antivirus now.

THANK YOU again

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Avast has a free version of their antivirus.  My wife has been using it without any problems.  That is to say that the application works well and is simple enough that she has no problems using it.  That is something considering that she is basically computer illiterate.  Now don't you tell her I said this. :nono:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:01 PM

If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus or anti-malware software software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (Premium/Pro) version which typically provides more features. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version or purchase other products. Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software (and annoying prompts to upgrade) except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users