Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Option : Sonicwall or Fortinet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -jiman

-jiman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

Hi Guys, 

Need some expert advise on firewall.

The organisation i am working for is currently using Sonicwall NSA3500. ( +- 4 yrs old). End of life would be next year. But we are due to renew the subscription. 

My question is , if we are to change firewall, should i stick with sonicwall or should i switch to fortinet ? or any other suggestion. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Perhaps you should contact both vendors and ask if they have some boxes you could test?

That way you can decide for yourself which one gives you the features you want/need.

Usually they have no problems sending you boxes you can trial :)

Hth!

tfn

#3 -jiman

-jiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

Perhaps you should contact both vendors and ask if they have some boxes you could test?

That way you can decide for yourself which one gives you the features you want/need.

Usually they have no problems sending you boxes you can trial :)

Hth!

tfn

unfortunately not in my case, both reseller not willing to give a demo unit :( 

#4 -jiman

-jiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

I am now looking at Sophos UTM . In term of commercial the offering is much better.

Any input on them is much appreciated

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

I use the sophos utm free at home. I like it and with the free price tag whats there not to like :)

I like that they can integrate with sophos endpoints and shut out infected clients.

I do believe they provide 30 day trials for their full versions so you can try for yourself.
Or test the free version at home ;)

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

HTH

tfn

#6 -jiman

-jiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

FYI, 

Finalize the deal with Sophos ( SG210). The commercial deal in term of license validity superseed  sonicwall or fortinet. 

SG210

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users