Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I messed something up guys

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 nordsense

nordsense

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:03 AM

I downloaded a program to clean my video driver because I was having problems with a recent GeForce driver effecting FPS in an certain game. The program restarted my PC in safe mode (networking disabled) before it attempted to clean the driver. I was prompted to enter my password which I forgot cause I normally use a PIN. I decided to just load a back up I have of my PC from a external 1 TB Seattle drive. When I went into the boot menu to select to load from the flash drive I got a huge red box that says : SECURE BOOT VIOLATION THE SYSTEM HAS FOUND UNAUTHORIZED CHANGES ON FIRMWAE OS OR UEFI so I click ok and it brings me back to Windows login screen. I reset my windows 10 password on the site but it still won't let me on my PC. When I disable all other boot options except to boot from the flash drive it just brings me into BIOS and nothing happens.

Do I remove the HDD reformat and try to boot from there? Can I boot windows from a flash drive when it already has a working copy of windows on the PC? Not sure what to do here thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

Just to be sure, this PC is a desktop?

If this is a desktop open the side of the case, locate the CMOS battery ( a silver coin shaped battery ).  There should be a jumper next to it to clear the CMOS, this will reset the BIOS to the default settings, this includes clearing the password/pin.

You should be able to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers from the Control Panel under Programs and Features.  When you change a NVIDIA driver download it first, uninstall the old driver, then install the new driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 nordsense

nordsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

This is a desktop. So by resetting the jumper it's going to clear my password for the windows OS login?

#4 nordsense

nordsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

The password I am trying to get by is the for windows log in. I have already cleared CMOS and turned secure boot off. When secure boot is turned off and it tries to boot from my external instead of getting the huge red SECURE BOOT VIOLATION I get a black screen with a | cursor that bunks two times and returns me to BIOS
blinks*

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

That is why I suggested it.  It will clear your password or pin.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 nordsense

nordsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

For the BIOS not the OS. I can get into BIOS fine

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

You last post doesn't make sense to me.  Please explain what you are trying to convey.

#8 nordsense

nordsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

What I am trying to do is load a backup of my computer from an external flash drive. I cannot get to my computers desktop anymore so I am in my systems UEFI menu trying to get it to load the backup from this device. First attempt to boot from this device gave me the big red secure boot violation message when I tried to boot from my backup that is on the flash drive. So I then turned secure boot off and tried to boot to the flash drive again and I got a black screen with a cursor that looks like this " | ". The cursor then blinked twice and returned me to the bios menu once again.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

I think I see what thread starter is trying to do:  He is wanting to boot a usb or dvd with utilities that can help "reconstruct" a password for the Windows OS, the Windows login.  Did I get that right?

I see nordsense and I posted at the same time.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 January 2017 - 11:26 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

nordsense, is there a legacy option in the UEFI menu that can be turned on?  Also, is there a FastBoot option that can be turned off?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 nordsense

nordsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

I guess what I am trying to say is not making any sense. I just want my HDD cleaned completely and the back up I have on the flash drive loaded because it's an image of where I want my computer to be. I was hoping that I didn't have to take the HDD out and reformat it restore from the flash drive I was hoping it would just boot from the image and replace what was on the existing HDD
I have done it before many times it's just this time I get S secure boot violation message

#12 nordsense

nordsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Legacy option is on fast boot is off still no success

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

You can create a recovery drive and use it to reset or restore the operating system.  You can find instructions to create the recovery drive 

and find instructions to reset/restore the operating system here.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

[earlier comment moot, didn't know TS is trying to boot an external HD]

Edited by RolandJS, 31 January 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#15 nordsense

nordsense
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Yes I have a recovery drive but it won't let me load it because I don't have the password to log into windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users