Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horizontal grey lines on my computer monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JaberJerak

JaberJerak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:21 PM

Hello,

Quite recently I've been experiencing a problem with my monitor. There are weird grey-ish horizontal lines on my monitor. They range in size. Sometimes they're so small you don't even notice, and other times they're larger, flatter lines. I checked my GPU and it's seated fine, I did unseat and reseat it though, just to be sure. I reseated my RAM, and cleared out any dust. I have an ADVUEU monitor, it's kind of old, to be honest. I really can't afford another one. Anyway. This issue started up about 2 weeks ago but would fade away for hours on end so It didn't bother me so much but now it's a real hassle. I changed VGA cords, I have a VGA to HDMI adapter, my monitor doesn't have HDMI. 
I also plugged in my VGA to my TV and the lines were still there, so I don't think it's a monitor issue. 

I want to think that my VGA to HDMI adapter is the issue, but I'm not sure at all.

My current set up is CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 w/ AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz

Edit: Here are some images taken from my phone, of my monitor in different line stages that I commonly 

http://imgur.com/wdaiQHS

http://imgur.com/nJdkhph

http://imgur.com/ICChXC1

Edited by JaberJerak, 30 January 2017 - 11:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

You're right - if you get the same lines when using your TV as a display then the problem is not with your monitor.

Your VGA to HDMI adaptor is presumably not connected at all when you're using your monitor as you say your monitor does not have an HDMI connection. If this is so then the adaptor is cannot be the problem. If you do have the adaptor connected somehow while using the monitor then disconnect it & see if the problem goes away - if the problem remains then again the adaptor cannot be the problem.

You have changed the VGA cable - so presumably this is not the problem - but changing it again for a cable you have proven OK on a different system would totally confirm that.

Which leaves the graphics card - which your post suggests you have looked at but not removed. If this is correct then remove it, check heatsinks / fans / connections are reasonably clean & then replace card. Make sure the Graphics card cooling is working OK. If the problem still persists then the next step is to try an alternative graphics card (or onboard graphics if your system has this). It doesn't need to be a high performance card for test purposes - just enough to see whether you get a display without the lines. If the card you try has a different chipset than your current one then you will have to uninstall your current video drivers & install the ones for the trial card. If onboard graphics removes the problem then you will still need to try an alternative graphics card to finally confirm that the problem is not with the motherboard.

I think that you will end up finding that the graphics card is the problem as it seems unlikely to be a motherboard fault.

Edited by rqt, 31 January 2017 - 04:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users