Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 7100 Not playing 4k video

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

How do we check for POI mode on a hard drive?

Its in the device manager for your hdd driver settings.

By the way your SSD numbers look good.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#77 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Here is the one from the D:/ drive and I don't think that it looks to good but don't really know what it should look like.

and here is a screenshot of the device manager.

Attached Files

#78 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

Looks ok, guess its not that, so what did happen in linux anyways when you used it, you didn't relly say much about the topic.

As well theirs no way you could link a download http for some 30sec useless video could you so others could test cpu use?

Oddly we have 3 machines used for testing, two intel "with out problems" and one AMD "problem"

Is the codec code only made for intel cpus O_o ?

Edited by shadow_647, 13 February 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#79 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:06 PM

Linux ran fine as far as I know but when I did it I didn't know how to get to the ctrl alt del to look at the cpu usage but the same video ran the same as it did on the windows 10 side of the computer. Video skips and very choppy as soon as it starts and never gets better, I will do it again tonight and pull up the cpu usage this time.

I will get a video link  that I will put here for the small 7sec video that is just under 100mb I know this isn't much video to use but it freezes on my dell before the 5sec mark. I can get more and download more when I get home. Maybe some new drone footage tomorrow since it's my day off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0w2vrt22hav1sax/DJI_0001.MP4?dl=0

Edited by DWalls001, 13 February 2017 - 03:08 PM.

#80 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

http://www.ihaveapc.com/2013/09/how-to-view-cpu-and-memory-usage-graphically-in-ubuntu-linux-mint/

#81 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Got it, I would say thank you but we've been there and done that, haha

Is Linux you  operating system of choice?

Edited by DWalls001, 13 February 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#82 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:34 PM

For my work laptop ya, its what i use if i have to do a house calls to fix a computer, relly old mid size thing with a 14.5" screen 1gig ddr ram and a Intel 1700mgz Centrino cpu in it, 160 gig hdd and with the newest version of mint everything works like new, though sadly its a real pain to get the 56k dileup modem to work on it and my laptop still has one built in not that i need it, don't have a 56k internet account setup at the moment, for some reason linux mint dousen't want to support dileup modems out of the box, dont know why, anyone far from a city can't use high speed internet.

And the reason why i recommend mint when it comes to Linux for home use is because the GUI and over all stile is windows like so its not as hard to get in to if your use to windows and the Os is popular and well known, but when it comes to Linux one size dousen't fix all and theirs like 100+ flavors out their or more so everyone happy, sadly when it comes to windows if you don't like something say like win version whatever its not fun cus you don't have many options at that point.

Got a big external hdd for backing up things if i need to though its only usb 2.0, i should get a new enclosure that's use 3.0.

Main box im in winXP, though ill have to move on to win7 at some point, can't game much in Linux sadly not like you can in winXP and i mostly play all the old stuff as well all the old stuff is free to download and use game wise.

You know last i checked china is still like 20% winXP user base.

If cpu use is still the same in Linux when trying to run your 4k video then that's a problem cus it means its not windows its hardware :/

Was kind of banking on the idea that win10 had a software problem of some kind to the point of all most willing to bet cash because i know i can run your video with out problems and your laptop can too with a 1500mgz cpu so why a quad core AMD 2800mgz can't im not understanding.

#83 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Maybe you're not using hdmi cables? Some video cards have two DVI either for dual monitor or those two ports can be Y together to get 4k support. Video problems can be a number of things. Codecs, player itself, video card, proper cables, simple settings like hardware acceleration for flash etc and the list goes on and on. It's difficult to pinpoint.

Edit: Older CPU's 3rd gen will bomb out even AMD quads. So 4th gen is needed and a good video card and cables.

Edited by technonymous, 14 February 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#84 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:32 AM

Some video cards have two DVI either for dual monitor or those two ports can be Y together to get 4k support.

Is this across the board, or limited to certain cards? I ask because I believe in one of my boxes of spare parts, there are a couple of buried dual DVI-D cards, one of which used the DMS-59 connector that I installed on someone's computer so that she could have any video other than the 10 year onboard Intel graphics. That one, I no longer have, though am sure there's a couple more slightly newer ones, some early Radeons (3 or 4xxx series). Another has dual Displayport connections, for whatever that's worth. 

Can I get 4K out of these? :question:  Am not a cheapskate, can order the cable to bond both as soon as I find these, have a couple of SFF PC's that would tickle me pink to have 4K output. :P

Older CPU's 3rd gen will bomb out even AMD quads

+1! :thumbsup:

However, my one & only AMD build, which features a FX-6300 CPU, runs just as good as any I3 that I've owned or worked on for others of any generation, and even my dual core i7's (620 & 640) in two of my notebooks of the 1st gen 'i' series (Arrandale). The only notebook of mine that cleanly beats it is the Samsung Series 7, which has a true quad core CPU (the i7-3635QM). Considering it was given to me for work performed when less than 18 months old, am not complaining about the notebook (a backfire series that forever damaged Samsung's reputation as a Windows OEM). It was supposed to draw Mac users to Windows, instead, was riddled with firmware issues, the MB on mine was replaced by Samsung long before I received it, when my relative upgraded to 8.1, which ended in an endless 'boot loop' cycle. Had to use a paper clip to disengage the battery to end it. 

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3635QM+%40+2.40GHz

Still, the FX-6300 isn't a pushover (only 279 points less on Passmark), has been a decent, and surprising PC for me that I rebuilt, all except the case, and one just came in last week that I'm going to make the switch to for more breathing room. Getting into the 5,000-6,000 range on PassMark is the beginning of respectability, as far as the CPU goes. Of course, the rest of the system has to be figured in, though the NVIDIA GTX 960 (2GB) was a decent GPU for a $200 model in the 1st quarter of 2015, mine was purchased in the same period, actually a bit too soon, had I waited, could had grabbed a 4GB superclocked model, rather than this one, which on NVIDIA's site, says it's 4K capable out of the box, though cannot hold a candle to either my GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5) or 1070 (8GB GDDR5), both are the EVGA FTW + ACX 3.0 series, the best of the entire series for their model line. EVGA is the World's #1 distributor of NVIDIA GPU's. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127842

Even the NVIDIA site says the GTX 960 is 4K capable, along with many other technologies, it's my 3rd best GPU to date & at one time, the top dog. :P

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications

Oh, and before I forget, the FX-6300 CPU benchmark provided by PassMark. :P

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-6300+Six-Core

What it replaced, which at the time, was the best AMD CPU I had, now in an Optiplex 740, though HyperTransport is somewhat crippled by being in an AM2 socket. Many says AM3 on a AM2 MB can't be done, I refuse to say 'no' until I see first hand. Some folks on various tech Forums are posting false truths to discourage others from doing the same & the Moderators does nothing to correct these, even if a Speccy or other snapshot is posted as proof that these members are spreading untruths. :angry:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+630&id=168&full

Here's the case the AMD build is going in & has been here nearly a week, though I have work to do for others, as well as ongoing projects for myself. May purchase a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO come next month for added cooling, though with this case, should run cooler than now, sometimes the FX-6300 idles in the mid to upper teens & doesn't run what many would consider 'hot', so the added room & fans alone should be an improvement, given it's in a case with components packed in like sardines. Maybe it's all of the metal close to metal that's keeping things cool. :P

All 4 & 5 eggs & I've yet to leave my review! :thumbsup:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147244

Here it is in my home, still in the box, and as can be seen, in the same room as my PC build Topic sometime back. That's why I can do these things, not that I'm loaded with cash, rather know how to manage it. Don't have nor want credit cards/personal loans, still drive the same car purchased in 2001 with just under 87,000 miles on it (average of 5,468 miles per year) & if it weren't for my wife, would have less than 80% of that, if not more. And budget a certain amount of cash every month for computer upgrades/repairs, that's not counting the 4K UHD monitor with GSync I'll drop around $800 on. Some says a $350-450 one will do, yet they all say 'FreeSync', which has nothing to go with GSync. These folks ought to know what they're talking about before sticking their foot in their mouth, or talking out of their rear end, uninformed. Monitors with FreeSync cannot utilize the features of GSync (or vise versa) & that cannot be disputed, both are different technologies. A 24"-28" GSync 4K UHD monitor it will be! :P

N3LUiti.jpg

And to think, I got that case for $15 less on promo, received a discount code that's for subscribers only, anyone can do this by visiting Newegg (or other etailer) & sign up for promos. Like I stated, may wait until the entire PC is transferred to the case before pulling the trigger on a cooler that I may not need. All that I ever hear is that AMD CPU's runs 'too hot', 'can 'fry eggs on' & other such nonsense, and yet I installed the FX-6300 with the thermal solution that was already pre-applied (not the norm for me) as a trial of paste installed this way, whatever AMD used has been good. No need until I remove the MB (& don't have to then) & install in new case to repaste, may elect not to remove the CPU, just blow out the heatsink really good, 3-4 days back, purchased a 4 pack of air dusters for this purpose. 

Other than the case being cramped to the point I can't use some slots, why fix what's not broken? Will get to that bridge when I cross it, so far, including this case, have only $300 vested into the PC, many of the components were laying around, other than the upgraded CPU, MB, and EVGA Supernova G2 650W PSU (Gold rated Power). The RAM, SSD & three HDD's, optical drive & other components, I had on hand. 

I can play 4K video, as long as there's a 4K monitor to view on. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users