Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 7100 Not playing 4k video

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 DWalls001

DWalls001

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

I have a dell XPS 7100 and am having problems playing 4k video from my drone that plays in my wife's hp split x2 laptop just fine. The dell has twice the processor and twice the ram that the hp has and I have upgraded the video card in the dell to an asus radeon r7 250 thinking that the original just wasn't good enough. When I am trying to watch a video on the dell and open task manager and watch the processor usage it says above 90% and when I do the same on the hp it is below 15% and plays just fine.

What am I missing? and what do I need to show you for help?

I am attaching a screen shot of each of the cpu usage in task manager. 

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

You try updating video codecs ?

As well what video format we talking about ?

#3 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:20 AM

I am using MP4 and here is a shot of the properties. Also after a quick look of different codecs, do you have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by DWalls001, 31 January 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#4 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

First step, you need to update your Radeon drivers. 

#5 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Ok I just finished updating my redeon drivers to this

Attached Files

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

So that fix the problem ?

#7 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

I just tried to play a video again after updated the above and same thing it plays for about 5 sec, drives the cpu above 90% then freezes.

Are the codecs that you referred to built into the radeon software?

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

Dout it, and iv never seen a mp4 drain cpu power like that, you still packing 6gigs ram on that system ?

You can get codecs here

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

As well what video player you using to watch the mp4 ?

Edited by shadow_647, 31 January 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#9 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

Yes I still have the 6g ram that came with the system, I currently have 2 - 2g and 2 - 1g in the computer and have ordered 2 - 4g to replace the 2 - 1g sticks with and if that helps then I was planning on getting 2 more of the 4g sticks to have a total of 16, I believe that is the max for this system.

It doesn't matter what I try to watch it with, media player, Movie maker, Movies and tv, and even tried a 5kmovie program, that was the worst one so I deleted it.

Also it doesn't matter if I download the file from the micro sd to the harddrive first or try it from the sd slot in the computer, it has the same results.

I will try the codecs link that you sent and get back to you.

Thank you

#10 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Ok downloaded and installed the link that you sent and it said that it found errors with some of the codecs that were installed so I let it do what it wanted to with them and got finished, restarted, and same thing, max out cpu when video plays.

Do I need to reinstall a fresh copy of windows 10 or is there other stuff that I can do to get this fixed?

Thank you

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Mind trying it in VLC player and see what happens ?

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If it dousen't work try this next, download and burn to dvd, its a live boot version of Linux and should be able to run mp4 files with out needing to be updated or installed, this is to test and see if its windows that's broken on some level or if its hardware.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

#12 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

Thank you I will try this now and let you know, I would hate to reload windows and then find out that I have a hardware problem.

Thank you for helping

#13 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

Update, the VLC player didn't do any better, maybe even worse, I downloaded the Linux and tried 3 times to burn to DVD all with errors. I went to boot options and choose diagnostic and got errors on drive 0. Then I downloaded the Western digital told and my c drive will not pass the first quick test.

So what is a good drive to replace this one with, would à SSD be better for the operating system?

I did get the new 4g ram sticks in yesterday but did not install them yet as I am thinking my problem is with the hard drive, want to get it fixed first.

Thank you

Edited by DWalls001, 01 February 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

That explains things and yes many go for a small SSD for windows but for mass data storage old stile hdd are still cheaper per gig and possibly more reliable, common setup is a 120gig ssd for windows and a 1TB or bigger old stile drive for data.

You do a chkdsk /r at the command line to the drive that has problems yet?

As well a screen shot of what the smart data is showing for the bad drive would be nice.

#15 DWalls001

DWalls001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

I will do this when I get back to the house this evening.

Do the SSD drives have the same SATA connections or do I need an adapter? What brand do you recommend, I will be replacing a500g drive and I have a3g 7200 rpm for my backup drive in the computer now.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users