Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 & 8 Dual Boot was workin fine till I decided to mess with partitions!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Politics

Politics

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Ok so my Lenovo Laptop came w Win 8 which I didn't like so I shrunk the Volume and created a small partition for Win 7. All was working fine.

So, on Friday I ran out of space on the Win 7 partition & I got AOEMI partition manager and shrunk the volume on the Win 8 Partition and merged the new un-allocated space to the Win 7 partition (roughly 850 GB or so). This process however required a restart and the AOEMI program was doing things in pre boot. The pre boot took over a day and the shrinking and merging still wasn't complete so I got impatient and turned my laptop off and restarted it.

So then after restarting the laptop I went into the Win 8 OS and did something called "Allocate Free Space" and added another 20GB from the W8 Partition to the W7 partition and restarted. This process completed pre boot as well but it was very quick and completed successfully.

I was able to still boot into the Win 8 partition but not the Win 7 partition as when I went to the Win 7 OS selector it just kept saying "Attempting Automated Repairs" and showed me a black screen.

I tried to start the Windows repair USB to fix Win 7 but the Win repair utility told me "this version of system recovery options is not compatible" and so I couldn't repair.

Then I was playing around with the "Partition Recovery Wizard" on MiniTool USB boot menu and I selected multiple partitions to recover after it searched for an hour. IT recovered the partitions I selected but my hard drive looks weird now (attached pic). Now, Windows 8 and Windows 7 won't work. It just keeps boot looping off the Lenovo boot menu splash screen.

How can I go back to having my W 8 & W 7 dual boot again, attached is a pic of the MiniTool application in the Boot Menu via USB. I also have the Easues Partition Manager and the AOEMI manager if I need those.

My Laptop is a Lenovo G50, I have to do something in BIOS called Legacy Support and not UFEI support to start the bootable USBs.

What it looks like right now.jpg    < What my Laptop partition screen looks like now. It's stuck in a Lenovo Boot Splash Screen BootLoop and W 8 and W 7 won't work. I "recovered" so many partitions from the "Partition Recovery Tool" from the Minitools usb boot

Before W8 Messed Up.JPG    This is what it looked like when Windows 8 was working and W 7 was not. It looks like that the 800 GB I took from the W 8 partition transferred over to the W 7 partition even though I stopped the task before it completed due to it taking too long.

Before I messed up W8.JPG Another pic from before when W 8 was working but W 7 was not.

Attached Files

Edited by Politics, 30 January 2017 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

You can try to repair Windows with a Windows 8.1 install disk by doing the following. It may get your Windows 8 up and running so you can copy any files from the Windows 7 partition before deleting the partition and reinstalling Windows 7. I am assuming this is the bootable version of Partition Wizard.

Delete both boot partitions and then resize the Windows 8 partition into the unallocated space. Your Windows 8 partition will be resized until it is next to the FAT32 partition. Once resized the boot the Windows 8.1 install disk and select Repair Computer at the screen then troubleshoot > Automatic Repair. It may take up to three attempts before Windows boots normally.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html

Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool

If the above does not work then I think your best option is to reinstall Windows 8 and 7 after recovering your personal data using a live linux disk. If the computer has the Nova key you can do a factory reset that will take it back to the day of purchase. Then you can reinstall Windows 7.

Your partition structure is a mess and I doubt you will be able to recover which means a reinstall of the OS.

#3 Politics

Politics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

Kinda don't want to reinstall W 7 all over again, is there not a way to revive the partitions or MBR or whatever and make it go work?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

Try to get Windows 8 back using my instructions then possibly you can get Windows 7 back using a boot repair disk but first see if you can get Windows 8 back.

#5 Politics

Politics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

So I deleted the 2 boot partitions and merged the Win 8 with the 1GB un allocated space, and downloaded the Win 8 installation disc with the repair utility but no luck repairing. i tried to repair it 7 times and same error as in the pictures. Any other tips? Thanks for the help so far, well appreciated!

jEzb6Kv.jpg
bMmSJhT.jpg

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

The only thing I can suggest is to try to do the repair manually. Pay attention to the letter assigned to the Windows 8 partition. You will need to assign a letter to the FAT32 partition if none is assigned. See the following guide, Do this with the Windows 8 install disk. Good Luck.

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

#7 Politics

Politics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Hmm so the Windows 8 drive now shows up as raw? But the Windows 7 now shows up on the OS selection menu but doesn't go anywhere but the error. Also can't start F8 as it just loops to the OS selection menu and the error. I didn't even try the command prompt with W8 as the drive shows up as RAW on diskpart

Attached Files

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

A RAW partition indicates a partition where the file system is corrupted. You can try scanning the disk using Partition Wizards partition recovery and try to recover this Windows 8 partition. If you can't get the partition out of a RAW state then you are looking at a reinstall. Is there data on this Windows 8 RAW partition you need? The stop code 0xc0000225 is a EFI boot error code. 

How did you get 2 FAT32 partitions? In your first image posted in your original post the 1000MB partition is shown as NTFS. It looks like you rebuild the BCD of the 1000MB partition and not the 260MB partition which is the one that should have been used. I see no drive letter for the 260MB partition but one for the 1000MB partition. You should only have one FAT32 partition and it's 260MB.

I am out of ideas on how to correct this. The steps that got you in this state I doubt would allow you to recover. 

#9 Politics

Politics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

No files on W8 that I need at all. Hmm, is there a way I can install a new OS (maybe Windows 10) on the Raw partition and just get the files from the W 7 installation later through My Computer?

And I don't know anything at all about how I ended with multiple Fat partitions. No clue. I deleted both boot drives and attempted W8 repair. W7 reapair still won't start due to "this version of system recovery options is not compatible" error still

Edited by Politics, 31 January 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

That is possible but any programs on the Windows 7 partition would need to be reinstalled. You could also use a linux live CD to recover any files on the Windows 7 partition first. I would do this in case installing Windows 10 goes wrong. You could also use linux to recover files from the Windows 7 partition and then do a factory reset if you have the Nova key I linked to in my previous post. If you use the factory reset method then you would wipe your Windows 7 partition. If the computer came preinstalled with Windows 8 you could install Windows 8 as the key is embedded in firmware. There is a Media Creation Tool available for Windows 8.

I would delete the following partition volumes first using Partition Wizard. Delete volumes 2,3,4, and 8 before installing Windows 10. You could also delete 6 and 7 if you decide to install Windows 10 or Windows 8 and do not plan on using the Lenovo factory reset partition. 

This is a step by step for Windows 8 but it would be the same for 10. You would select Custom Install and select the unallocated space to install Windows 10 to leaving the Windows 7 partition intact.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

If you want to use a live linux disk I can provide instruction to recover your data before doing the install.

#11 Politics

Politics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

Wow so ok, I reinstalled Win 10 on the W8 Partition. I was successfully able to recover the data from the W7 partitions via My Computer from W 10 . I shrunk those till they had no free space left. So Now I have a working W 10 and a defunct W 7. I think I will continue to use W 10, if I don't then I'll reinstall W 7. Now my W 10 partition is 611 GB big, I won't be needing that much but good to have.

MORAL OF THE STORY : DO NOT screw W Partitions and be patient. Also I found in my experience MiniTools taking much less time than AOEMI. MUCH LESS!

@JohnC_21   - Thanks a whole a lot my good friend! You have a GOOD heart, thanks for all your help a thousand times over!  :clapping:

Edited by Politics, 01 February 2017 - 07:32 PM.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

"...I got impatient and turned my laptop off and restarted it..."  Going forward, whenever an important process that involves partition resizing/folder & file moving from one partition to another, never get impatient like that; a similar experience cost me dearly in time and effort in the rebuilding of Windows and all 3rd party programs; and one other time it took me two years to find and relabel many many data files that were recovered -- but the first character of all those were lost in an accidental format/delete.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

Wow so ok, I reinstalled Win 10 on the W8 Partition. I was successfully able to recover the data from the W7 partitions via My Computer from W 10 . I shrunk those till they had no free space left. So Now I have a working W 10 and a defunct W 7. I think I will continue to use W 10, if I don't then I'll reinstall W 7. Now my W 10 partition is 611 GB big, I won't be needing that much but good to have.

MORAL OF THE STORY : DO NOT screw W Partitions and be patient. Also I found in my experience MiniTools taking much less time than AOEMI. MUCH LESS!

@JohnC_21   - Thanks a whole a lot my good friend! You have a GOOD heart, thanks for all your help a thousand times over!  :clapping:

Sorry, I missed your post. Your Welcome. You may still be able to get Windows 7 to boot. On your Windows 10 install EasyBCD. It will scan the drive for other OS installs. Click the Add new entry box. Check the box to add Windows 7 to the BCD menu if offered. Make sure Windows 10 is the first item listed.  EasyBCD is free for home use. It may or may not work for you but it's worth a shot.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Edit: In the future before attempting partition movements I would backup a complete disk image to an external drive using a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Creating the bootable media each program offers you would be able to restore the image from the external drive and be back up in minutes vs hours.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2017 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users