Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Mac suddenly makes intermittent dong sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:30 PM

Mac os 10.6.8; Firefox 48.0.2

Today I checked email w/ both Safari and later Firefox. I went to Utube and then set up a Goggle acct so I could comment on a Utube video. I then decided I'd delete the Gmail/Google acct  - I can't remember exactly why. I never confirmed the account via that link in an email to my comcast acct. I got tired and decided to check tomorrow if the account was never confirmed or added. If not, I'd follow the instructions to delete.

Later I was simply reading fanfiction at fanction.net w/ Firefox when I heard a musical dong and I still hear it intermittently. Sometimes it sounds like there are 2 or 3 notes. It now sometime sounds like some song is playing a couple of notes and stopping or I get just the dong.

I shut down the mac and rebooted and opened only firefox. The sound is still there.

I checked that no other firefox windows were open w/ some ad playing. I googled for macs w/ intermittent sounds suggestions. There was one example of a gmail icon in the browser window with something you uncheck, but I do not see any such icon. I checked my clock settings. I never use Mail and it is not open. Under login items in system preferences are realplayer downloader agent and instalutilLaunch.

I have read of hardware warning sounds but I don't think this musical note sounds like a hardware warning. I also ran the mac's hardware check recently, altho I found it lacking in that it gave me no list of what exactly it checked.

I went to sounds in system preferences and listened to the ones listed and none sounded like what I'm hearing. I don't see any way to associate the sounds w/ an activity like I could in Windows. I figure there must be a way since the sounds are there. Maybe you do it thru individual applications?

I have downloaded the free avast dmg per another post and I'm going to finally run a scan on this 7 year old Mac tomorrow am if the creek don't rise. First I'm going to make sure the Goggle acct is deleted. I am slowly preparing to upgrade to el capitan so I can upgrade Safari and Firefox, but I'm waiting for my sister to get her Windows lemon working before I do so. We are very dependent on my ability to write emails & letters at the moment.

Any suggestions how I got this sound and what to do about it?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Try creating another user account and logging into that user account to see if that sound still happens.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

I have another user account set up. I haven't heard the bong yet today. If I hear it again I'll switch accounts. Do I need to shut down and restart or can I just log out?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

Do I need to shut down and restart or can I just log out?

I would start with just a log out of the original account and log into the second. See if that helps.

If it helps, then that tells you it was something related to the old account. If it does not help, then you can then try rebooting and logging into the new account (likely won't change anything, however, would be my guess).

Plus, having a second account (especially an second admin account) is a good thing in general in my opinion.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Sorry to be so slow to get back to topic. Logging into my other account didn't stop the dong. So I just went back to the accoutn I always use so I could do some work. Eventually, it just went away all by itself.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users