Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is a geiger counter!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wesleyc

wesleyc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

My internal computer speaker makes a constant clicking sound like a geiger counter.  I starts as soon as I power on the computer and stays on until I power it down.  What causes this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:55 AM

What is make and model ?

Does any of this apply to you?

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2593100/crackling-popping-sound-laptop-speakers-headphones.html

(see highlighted best solution)

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:46 AM

I have had a problem like this in the past from having a motherboard alarm set (voltage or temperature - I cant remember). Due to a sensor problem the alarm was constantly going off - but only for a fraction of a second - so all you could hear was clicks. So if you do have any motherboard alarms set it's worth trying the system with them all disabled.

#4 hdriscoll

hdriscoll

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:20 AM

Are you sure that clicking is from the speaker and not the HDD?

#5 wesleyc

wesleyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:22 AM

The sound is definitely coming from the internal speaker. It's there when the hard drive is disconnected. It stops when I disconnect the speaker.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

It's there when the hard drive is disconnected.

If it is a fixable problem, then it must be in the BIOS. I don't know of any other component that could cause this. If you can't find the cause in the BIOS (check rqt's post #3 above) then it is a problem in the motherboard. Just disconnect the system beeper and carry on.

Just for double-check, reset the CMOS (BIOS) back to factory default and see if that helps. Also, you might boot into Safe Mode and see if that stops the problem. If so, then the problem is a system file, driver or program that is loading on normal boot and affecting the system beeper.

There is also a remote possibility that the system beeper itself has a short in it; last thing to try is replacing the beeper. I hope yours is replaceable, usually they just plug into the mainboard. They are cheap, you can order online and maybe save a few pennies.

Just for giggles, please post back with results so we can all learn; I have never run across this problem before.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users