Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Office Prof 2k3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ngarskel

Ngarskel

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

It came bundled with something called MS Secure Desktop Server, Do I need that? I dont see where it will be important for a college student O.o.
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"There are only two infinites; The universe and stupidity."
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

Hey Ngarskel,

I also attend NCSU, i'm a sophomore there right now, and i've personally never heard of the program you speak of. Are you in engineering or a similar field?

The only thing i can think of relating to a "Secure desktop" or something along those lines would be "Wolfcall". This allows you to access the AFS file system from any computer you need to, meaning you can log in with your Unity ID and password and have access to your K: and J: drives on the university server.

As for the "MS Secure Desktop Server", i'd say get rid of it, but ask someone that would know (like your advisor) if it's really important for your field.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 01 September 2006 - 08:49 AM.

#3 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:46 AM

OOops. Mabey I should elaborate, It came with Microsoft Office Professional 2003....Damn me and my abbreviations.. O.o

Freshman, Bio Sciences
"Fear those who find all things simple, for they will make all things difficult." -Mercedes Lackey
"One man can be stupid, however if you want real bon'fid'a stupidity; their ain't nuten like teamwork."

[-AdAware-] [-Spybot S&D-] [-Webroot SpySweeper-] [-AVG Anti-Spywear-] [-SpywareGuard-] [-SpywareBlaster-][-AVG Free / Comodo Firewall -][[HijackThis!]]

#4 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:48 AM

I'm just gonna remove it..It's not doing anything anyway, It's blocked from access internet since I didnt know what to do with it.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:51 AM

Oh, i was assuming it was a piece of software you recieved from a organization here at state. If it came with Office, then i very seriously doubt you'd need it for anything on-campus.

The program sounds like something used for setting up a secure server to run on your desktop, which, unless you plan on running a web network/service out of your dorm room, doesn't seem to be useful, lol.

#6 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:53 AM

I came to the same conclusion, With MS though you never know..Usually they like using up as much space and resources as possible..

But no...I got stuck with professional because bookstore ran out of standard...Fking idiots...

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

Possibly Microsoft addition. Possibly just another of their space hogging programs.
But I have MS Office 2003. No secure desktop nothing here, but mine is older, from about 2004.

Now, are you really sure it's from Microsoft? Any verisign signatures? Any properties you can be sure of?
Under a name such as you quoted, it could be anything, from Citrix servers in your school, to new features in MSO2003. I'd suggest disable from startup (if it's on), keep but rename the directory(s) and see what happens. The name implies that your computer could become a server, which you probably do not want.

Heck, it might even have to do with something along these compliance lines:
"http://www.visualautomation.com/securedesktop/index.html"
Google a bit, you might find exact match to the exe name, MD5 signature, something ...
Just food for thought. Hey, enjoy school :thumbsup:

#8 Ngarskel

Ngarskel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:44 PM

Already far far ahead of you..

Uninstalled it this morning...I knew where it came from, from the 4 bleeping discs of Microsoft Officer Professional 2003...I think it was for business networking or some such...

Removed though, No side effects :thumbsup:

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, Office 2003 Pro comes with several discs, only one of them actually has the Office Suite on it, the others contain stuff I\'ve never bothered to look at. M$ needed to justify the price, so they added lots of crud no one ever uses. :thumbsup:

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

Holy smoke! Four discs? Several discs?
You mean in 2004 I paid all that money and just got ONE disc?

Now I see what you guys are talking about. They just add more and more and more trash. And then thre'll be more and more and more patches, ouch :thumbsup: :flowers:

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:05 AM

Well, we have a volume lisence edition, maybe that has something to do with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users