Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Mac Partition because of windows? Are files corrupt?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SceneAmatiX

SceneAmatiX

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

I'm in a state of emergency right now...

So Saturday night, I brought an external HD over to my friends place to transfer some photos instead of tying up my internet and uploading 21GB worth of pictures.

Anyway, I normally run on a MAC OSX system, so I believe that my HD was Mac OS Journaled.

When I plugged it into my friends Windows 10 laptop, it wouldn't recognize the drive, so we thought maybe it was a driver issue of some sort or something. We installed drivers onto his machine, and it didn't change.

Went into Disk Management and a pop up appeared and just OK'd it. I couldn't tell you what the pop-up said, but I am positive it didn't mention formatting it.

Now, we went in and saw the drive was connected, but it showed Unallocated. 4TB of space.

Confused, so we decided to disconnect it. Then, I try to plug it into my Mac and it is unreadable!!

Now I got some recovery software, Stellar Phoenix, and ran the find Lost Partitions option. And it found my partition HFS, and it also found an NTFS partition which was 134mb.

I stopped the scan early, and went to look at the HFS partition, and there I found all of my files that I needed. File sizes seemed correct and all the folders were there.

But, as I am saving these files onto a new HD, I noticed that some of them don't open, and some do.

Could this be a result of stopping the scan early? I figured that only 2 'blocks' would show up on the disk to represent the partitions.

Is there any way to fix these corrupted files? Maybe I should run the partition scan again and see if it'll pull any more file information from other sectors of the HD?

It's just odd to me that the files are correctly named & the sizes are correct. It's just same open and some don't

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2017 - 05:20 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Once a serious scan is in progress, it is best to let it run full course.  Hopefully you will recover all that is recoverable.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 SceneAmatiX

SceneAmatiX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Understandable.

I figured since it was only scanning for lost partitions, once it showed up, then it was okay. Can the same partition show up in other parts of the disk block?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

I do not know.  Others here in the know should appear eventually and guide you further.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 SceneAmatiX

SceneAmatiX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

Thank you.

I've been reading that TestDisk may resolve my issue, then using pdisk to rebuild the volume/partition? Anyone have any insight on this?

Also, I made sure that nothing is being deleted or saved onto the 'bad' drive. Considering it can't even be mounted on my Mac computers I don't believe there is any activity going on other than this Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recover scan & transfer to my new external HD I just purchased.

I have never been in this situation and I am just going by what I see. And I do see the missing partition, and all my files and folders are there. Just as if I was looking at it in the "Finder" window. I hope the resolution is just rebuilding the partition so that I can mount the volume again an access the files. I can't see why more than half of my files are corrupt. It's hit or miss as well. It doesn't seem like it's the LARGE files or small files that can't load. It's just random.

#6 SceneAmatiX

SceneAmatiX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Update on my situation...

I am still transferring recoverable files via Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. Although it shows all of my files can be recoverable, not all of them open.

Interesting though... I also have Disk Drill 3, and I can see all of my files listed, and some open and some don't. Now, what's interesting is, some of the files that DO open, don't open from the ones that are getting recovered from Stellar. And the ones that don't open, have been transferred over to my new HD already.

Could there be a reason why two different pieces of software produce different results? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users