Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File System Error (-1073741515) Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SkullystoneZ

SkullystoneZ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hi,

I've been getting this error when I go to an administrator program. Please help me or i will smash my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

This needs to be run this using an Administrator account.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SkullystoneZ

SkullystoneZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

When I click the Command Prompt (Admin) it says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel" 

what do I do?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

You need to do a Windows 8.1 Refresh.  This basically will reinstall the operating system.

Windows 8.1 Refresh

You need to be aware that a refresh will remove all third party programs, but will not effect your data.

1. Open the Settings charm, tap/click on Change PC Settings.

2. Tap/click on Update and recovery, then tap/click on Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap/click on Get started.

Follow the instructions as they appear.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SkullystoneZ

SkullystoneZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:44 AM

I don't have the password for the administrator's account to refresh my pc.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have all of your important data backed up to removable media?  (examples: external hdd, flash drive, cloud account, etc.)

#7 SkullystoneZ

SkullystoneZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

no,

and i dont know my model

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

PCMagazine has instructions for downloading Ubuntu and using it to recovery your data.  Since you can't boot into the operating system to repair it you are going to have to reinstall the operating system.  You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users