Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend Purchasing Laptop for 12 yr. Old Son

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

For school and personal use. Can anyone advise whether this is a good choice quality/feature-wise? Any better choices in this price range? He is just looking to buy a pre-built from amazon, may suggest checking NewEgg, etc.

He was considering:

ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6-inch G-SYNC VR Ready Core i7 2.6GHz Thin and Light Gaming Laptop [GL502VM] GeForce GTX 1060, 16GB DDR4, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, Intel Core i7 6700HQ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KB0WJ1G/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=topt01a-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01KB0WJ1G&linkId=e026915aecabb75108cc20c748471c8a

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Any new computer purchase...is a good choice...as long as it meets the needs/wants of the purchaser...and purchaser is willing to pay for said item.

Features?  Only the buyer can judge a system based on her/his preferences.  I see little value in having a computer where the capabilities exceed the intended use by the purchaser.  To ask someone else to judge features...when he/she is not the purchaser/projected user...is saying "You tell me what you would buy and I will buy that."  That might work with twins...but (even then) the preferences are likely not to match the personalities, IMO.

Take a look at the User Comments re a system...and you can find out what they feel/think of said system.  Amazon provdes such.  That should be more informative than random opinions of statistical data and hyperbole that are likely from other sources.

Louis

I just noticed that this is for a 12-year-old.  Has anyone asked this person...what's important in his desired system?

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

And, ensure the 12-year-old has Macrium Reflect or anything similar along with reliable affordable external media for routine full image backups of the OS partition[s] and the data partition.  And let that person be responsible for making restorable backups. 

Edited by RolandJS, 30 January 2017 - 12:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the speedy replies and good advice.

I do see ASUS is a popular brand. Was just wondering if it is one of the more reliable quality brands. I do realize, of course, that ALL brands can have their issues but going with a quality brand usually reduces the number of issues.

Thanks again

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

It depends what his son is meant to do with it. Gaming wise, a GTX 1060 and i7 will perform brilliantly but the 1060 is a desktop GPU which means it's more power hungry. I can't see this laptop playing games for more than a couple of hours. If your friend is looking for a laptop so his son can surf the web and do some schoolwork then you may want to get something cheaper. 

#6 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

Primarily school & surfing with a bit of gaming. So I assume the GPU won't be an issue.  Will pass on recommendations.  Possibly something less powerful/costly.

Should they be looking for a laptop with an SSD instead?

Thanks.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Schoolwork, homework, gaming - can make the laptop overly warm, even if the exhaust grills are kept clean.  Recommend buying and using a $15-20 usb-powered external cooling fan assembly [one giant fan or twin fans].  Each of my two laptops have one.  One laptop no longer suddenly shuts down due to hot-running since using the cooling assembly.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

Is an SSD advisable?

#9 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Is an SSD advisable?

It's certainly very useful, it makes the system run much faster as the CPU doesn't have to wait for the Hard drive to fetch data.

Is this something his son will use at school (as in carry it around a lot). If so, you'll need a laptop with an "m" GPU (Mobile) to get better battery life.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

Does it have to be a laptop? Unless you consider him to be very good at taking care of his belongings I wouldn't spend that much for a laptop.  That laptop is a pretty high end gaming laptop.  You can get a decent machine for about half that much.

I deal with business machines from Dell and HP and they are both good brands, but their business lines aren't designed for gaming.  The Alienware 15 is the same price and you can change from a 1TB drive to a 180GB drive at no change.

Edited by Kilroy, 30 January 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#11 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Ok, thanks once again.

Surfing for ideas to make recommendations. Pretty overwhelming. SSD only...mGPU...

Would anyone know of an established brand name with 1 TSSD and mGPU  that you feel comfortable recommending?

Only finding laptops with SSD/HDD combinations..They wouldn't know how to make proper choices on where to install or how to select drive for different programs. Also, no mention of mGPU other than in tech articles or forums.

A bit overwhelming.

Thanks for your patience

Edit- will check out Alienware, thanks

Edited by chiiibill, 30 January 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

You don't want to pay for a 1TB SSD, you're talking over $500 just for the drive.  I'd recommend staying under 512GB for SSD.  I meant to include this link last time - Alienware 15.  This is more machine that I'd buy for my 12 year old son.  Don't spend more money than you're willing to throw away if he destroys the machine.  Accidental damage coverage would probably be a good idea.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

And...by all means...sign up for any/all extended warranty plans.

A system in the nands of some full-grown adults is always in jeapordy..in the hands of a 12-year-old, anything is likely to occur, IMO, loss...theft...damage...and the unforeseen :).

Louis

#14 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Just a final thanks.

passed on the info- proper choice: school vs. gaming (or both); some choices for each; SSD/HDD choices; provided links to Dell/HP to investigate possibilities; "m" GPU possibility; appropriate decision re: expense for child ;solid warranty; regular backup system., cooling fan if indicated.

Great group at BC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users