Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need Help Someone has had access to my FB messages

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fedupwithmuppets

fedupwithmuppets

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hi, I am not tech savvy but am also not completely stupid :) Someone has screenshot messages between my ex an I and forwarded them on to a 3rd party in apparent nameless email along with a pretty nasty video !

My phone is protected and I don't log in anywhere other than my sons laptop which is also secure and hardly out of his possession ! These are not revealing or rude but are definitely private and I need to find out where they came from as this has been happening for a couple of weeks and are beginning to cause issues..

Could they have come from my ex's phone as he is being shown as active when he isn't and sometimes my messages are shown as read and then they are back to marked as in read?

I have changed my passwords e.t.c  I am now getting desperate.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

Welcome to BC....

You can do what millions of others concerned about their privacy and security have done.....quit using Facebook...

Deactivating & Deleting Accounts | Facebook Help Center | Facebook

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 fedupwithmuppets

fedupwithmuppets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hey there buddy215,

Thankyou hun, my same conclusion and that is the plan, currently downloading my archive to check the IP addresses signed in from, However I want to find out the who's and whys first as I am not a let it lie type of gal :) so any other ideas?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:43 AM

If you have access to the emails...then you can check the headers for more info such as the IP address they originated from. That

isn't much help though in identifying the human that sent them. But if they have criminal intent the police could track using the IP address.

Which requires a court order.

I'm assuming you have changed the password and any other security such as secret words and phone numbers used to contact

you in case of lost password or to verify you are who you say you are.

How to secure my fb account from hackers? | Facebook Help Community | Facebook

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 fedupwithmuppets

fedupwithmuppets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

I am trying to get a copy of the emails, I have changed everything today, I think I now have a clue who has done this, just need to verify now ! I checked the archive and have different IP addresses logged in over different days and times.. Now I have address can I pin point the locations ?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

Without a court order you cannot verify through IP addresses the actual human's computer. IP address will give you the general location

and which ISP was used.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

It is always possible that malware is involved. Such as a keylogger. You should consider starting another topic in the

Am I infected? What do I do?  Forum.

#8 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

Looking at the screenshots would help you determine if they were taken at your end or your ex's end.

Do you have access to them?

tfn

#9 fedupwithmuppets

fedupwithmuppets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

I can get access to them I just need to wait til he finishes work, when he shows me how do I tell?

#10 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

When you use messenger the recipients answers will be in normal text while your messages will be in some colored text (usually blue)

Like this:
facebook-messenger-app-now-has-material-

So, if what you wrote is in colored textboxes, it is taken from your account.
If it is uncolored, it is taken from the one you sent the messages to.

hth!

tfn

Edited by toofarnorth, 30 January 2017 - 10:42 AM.

#11 fedupwithmuppets

fedupwithmuppets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Thank you tfn :) xx

#12 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

My apologies!!
I had to edit the post because I mixed up which text was yours and which text was the recipients

So, please have another look

Getting it the wrong way around would be bad, since you might then accuse somebody of something they havent done!

tfn

#13 fedupwithmuppets

fedupwithmuppets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Thanks haven't got that far yet, also still trying to work out how someone sent a blank named email or if its a fake :(

#14 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

You can spoof emails and ip addresses so even if you do get the ip address it may lead to a dead end if a tor node or similar in a foreign county.

I take it if no one has had access to any of your devices you use to connect to the said account then you have scanned for malware on theses devices? as a precaution? 

#15 fedupwithmuppets

fedupwithmuppets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

Hey HolyCowz, Have run everything I can, I know that I could have missed something but this is looking more like a personal attack on either My ex or Myself, as content was too personal, with info that was not on either of our devices :( or would have access too ! as apart from screen shots all other info was the 3rd parties.

A bit stuck between a rock and a hard place as need the further info and a better knowledge of this sort of stuff,

Things I have 2 different IP address's One Local used once, have the latitude and longitude (not sure if its accurate) ,No malware detected on my devices. I do not yet have access to his phone as still at work.. taken me all day to get this far and I do not like failing but have such little understanding that am definitely doing that.. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users