Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Scary Arabic Phrase

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

Nowadays you can't take arabic text onboard plans without other passengers calling security. Linky
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

There is no freedom of speech now in the United States of America.

هناك هل لا حرية الخطبة في الولايات المتحدة الآن من أمر
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

It was in a US airport! We ARE at war!
Although they did not realize this at the time. He is anti-American for God's sake.

back from the mideast
I just came back from a short trip to Jordan and Syria. The trip to Syria was so fast, but I managed to visit some Lebanese refugee camps. I am so impressed by the Syrian people's generosity in receiving Lebanese refugees.

The other thing you can't miss in Jordan and Syria is people's anger against the US

....I tried to explain that we are the "good" Americans who are against the war,

Besides.....I do not see where "freedom of speech" was stiffled here Khomeini in Dearborn
here Hezbollah Is Here or here Protest at the Israeli Consulate in San Francisco, July 13, 2006

Edited by Scarlett, 31 August 2006 - 12:48 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

It was in a US airport! We ARE at war!

With what? A language?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

I invite all to read his thoughts.

He is anti-American ---> hizbollahg for God's sake.

Besides.....I do not see where "freedom of speech" was stiffled here Khomeini in Dearborn
here Hezbollah Is Here or here Protest at the Israeli Consulate in San Francisco, July 13, 2006

He spews anti American rhetoric here and all across the globe and he is whining about a t-shirt???
Heck he was prolly among those protesters taking advantage of his "free speech"
that our Men and Women in Arms fight to defend. Ungratefull punk!
That t-shirt could be deemed as suspicious.
And since some Americans are becoming increasingly paranoid.
[Is the level of such paranoia warranted? Who's to say.]

But then again... we are at war.

Plus.. he just came back from Jordan (and most noteably Syria).
Airport officials had that information.
So maybe that is why they had done what they had done
Who the hell knows.
Personally I dont care about his stupid t-shirt.
What I do care about is that he is another anti American nut job.
Who protests the war. Which spits on our American soldiers.
He is in cahoots with the code pink *bleep.
And that is enough for me.
Yuck cindy sheehan, double yuck.
She personalizes her anti war efforts
by spitting on her own sons grave.
He's just another commie.

It sucks to be an Arab/Muslim living in the US these days.

That dude is easily solved......
You are not chained to these sovereign shores.
Just STHU! Or.....

Edited by Scarlett, 31 August 2006 - 04:06 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

So everyone is entitled to free speech UNLESS:

A. You're not american
B. You're saying something bad about the government
C. You're saying something bad about the government's actions
D. You're saying something bad about the country

Yay for "freedom" of speech...

I should be able to wear a "F*** the United States of America" shirt if i want to WITHOUT being called a commie or terrorist, or be suspected of plotting a scheme to blow up buildings. That's the meaning of free speech.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 31 August 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

He appears to me to be looking for trouble. It's like walking into a bank with a shirt that says "I'm a robber"
Your going to get some attention and rightly so.

I should be able to wear a "F*** the United States of America" shirt if i want to WITHOUT being called a commie or terrorist, or be suspected of plotting a scheme to blow up buildings. That's the meaning of free speech.

But not entering an airline ,,it is different now. Consider this. You're taking your your children on a flight. I don't really want them sitting next to your profanity. Nor do I feel you would be seated comfortably, sitting next to a person whose shirt says...All Americans should die.

Edited by boopme, 31 August 2006 - 09:17 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

Okay I admit I went off on a bit of a rant. :thumbsup:
Although I still stand behind my thoughts.

But being as he (Raed Jarrar) is the so called "Iraq Project Director for Global Exchange".
He should be well aware of what wearing that t-shirt may cause.
I mean 'comon what was he thinking?

There is a time and a place for everything.
His wearing it in the middle east and then flying back to the US (all the way from there) with it still on.
(I would of changed my clothes before I flew back myself, lol he did wear it all day already.)
Knowing he was to be in a US airpoirt, well that makes me sort of suspicious.

Shrug....
Posted Image

#9 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:32 PM

"We cant make sure that your t-shirt means we will not be silent, we don't have a translator. Maybe it means something else". I said: "But as you can see, the statement is in both Arabic and English". He said "maybe it is not the same message". So based on the fact that Jet Blue doesn't have a translator, anything in Arabic is suspicious because maybe it'll mean something bad!

The shirt said, "We will not be silent" in two languages. I'm sorry, I just don't see how a shirt that simply expresses discontent with the current political climate is the same as wearing a "robber" shirt to a bank.

Though I suppose if you believe that anyone who disagrees with the policies of the administration is "anti-American," then I guess I could see how you might come to that conclusion.

Ahh, nationalism...is there anything it can't do?

:thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#10 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

Who protests the war. Which spits on our American soldiers.
He is in cahoots with the code pink *bleep.
And that is enough for me.
Yuck cindy sheehan, double yuck.
She personalizes her anti war efforts
by spitting on her own sons grave.
He's just another commie.

I wasn't going to bother replying to this, but after reading it again, I just can't help it. The following is all based on my "gut feeling" on the issue, so hopefully you'll take something positive from it and not just get angry. My goal isn't to "stir up trouble." I just feel rather strongly about the issue.

"...protests the war, which spits on American soldiers."

If you cared one bit about American soldiers, you'd want our government to do everything it could to prevent war; you would want our country to resort to the use of military force only as the absolute last option. When you support a war, regardless of the reason, the last thing you are doing is "supporting the troops." You are supporting the concept that human life is expendable.

I would argue that a leader who sits comfortably and safely while our troops are in danger and says things like, "Bring it on" to the enemy shows that does not "support the troops."

Again, just my opinion.

On Cindy Sheehan: I have one question for you: have you lost a child? I haven't any children as of yet. But my wife lost her little brother not a year ago. The absolute hell she and her mother are going through is not anything anyone can understand who hasn't been there. My entire view of life is forever changed. I know now that there is no event that can be worse in this life than the loss of a child; if "g(G)od" exists, there's no hell he can send you to that can top this sort of pain. So if this woman wants to do everything she can to besmirch the war and the president, I say let her. Leave her be; let her do what she has to do. The next time you feel the urge to call her "un-American," try imagining the death of one of your own children so that you might have at least a hint of the pain she is going through...now, and for rest of her life.

Edited by locally pwned, 01 September 2006 - 01:59 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:40 PM

What caught my attention in his story wasn't the freedom of speech issues, but the security issue. I admit that he should have been able to predict that response, but that is what is so wrong here. That kind of emotional knee-jerk response is bad security. Worse, it is counter-productive. Security needs calm, measured responses to have any effect.

The problem is that we are drowning in ineffectual counter-productive security measures. Take all the commotion in response to the British "terrorist threat" we just had. Details on what actually was going on are finally starting to leak out. It turns out there was no immediate threat. So having people arriving three hours early to confiscate their lipstick and shampoo was pointless and a waste of money. Even worse, this counter-terrorist dude managed to smuggle aboard C4 and the other components needed to make a bomb while the security guards were busy hassling some lady about her lipstick. So all the security measures were costly, burdensome, in response to a non-existent threat and completely in-effectual.

There are many other examples of security measures which belong on America's funniest home videos.

In the first story we had three security officials hassling a guy about a t-shirt while who knows what was happening behind their back. People accept anything in the name of security these days. Many are starting to use security as an excuse for incompetence.

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

Yes, your observations are not without merit and justified concern Mr. Alpha.
Job creation/economic creativity (or simply policy enforcement) can be counter-productive and when emotionalism/media circus atmosphere
or election year rhetoric is added to the mix as key components and/or "secondary or tertiary results" ....
suspicion enters in. What a perfect place for suspicion to enter ... into emotionally charged security-related issues, huh? Reminds me of watching a dog chase it's tail. You know there must have been a reason,
but the act and end result san both be viewed as comical/pathetic & ineffective.

So what would I do that would be any better?
Good question, and I even have an answer:

Continue to observe, continue to report, continue to discuss & continue to keep books on what
the actual effect is upon the % of people who:
1. pay for it with taxes
2. earn money from it by virtue of employment
3. gain power by virtue of administration of it & controls over it
4. are the target of it by virtue of it's criminal and/or oppostional political nature

It might even be an interesting and enlightening study to determine the ___%' s involved in that incomplete list.

Edited by phawgg, 01 September 2006 - 11:00 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

So everyone is entitled to free speech UNLESS:

A. You're not american
B. You're saying something bad about the government
C. You're saying something bad about the government's actions
D. You're saying something bad about the country

Yay for "freedom" of speech...

You contradicted your own position. You want the freedom of speech to oppose the governments action but to do not want other citizens to be able to criticize your position. As far as having a shirt that has such a profane statement I would hope you took marshal arts, wresling, or boxing. I for one would give you opportunity to use it. Not because you slam the US, which for me is bad enough, but because you obviously would be looking for a fight with such a provocative statement. Especially if you exposed my family to it. Two years ago I was in the hospital for just such a confrontation. I had three "anti-war types" screaming the same language at a local mall. When I asked them to tone it down because of the young childern they start screaming it was their right to say what they wanted. 2 of them and myself ended up in the hospital. I would just assume DIE than let my family be attacked verbally or phsycally.
This is the typical anti-government stance. I have the freedom to say anything no matter how much it offends other, but don't you dare criticize me for doing it. It's all about them and if you disagree they all the sudden want to denie your the very rights the profess everyone should have.
As far as what was written on the shirt, I believe that can be solved by jacking the tickets by $25 , interviewing and searching EVERYONE! Man, women, and child. After all Tim MacVee was as much a terrorist
and I would not want him, or his like, near any plane I would fly on.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

Well said acklan.

In addition, the airline is a private company. If they want to require their passengers to wear tuxedos or formal gowns to board, they have to right to do so. They certainly have the right to deny boarding to a passenger they feel may be a threat, or even a perceived threat by the other passengers.

IMO, by wearing that shirt - and initially refusing to change it, this person was showing disrespect for the other passengers - reason enough to consider him a threat.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#15 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:27 AM

IMO, by wearing that shirt - and initially refusing to change it, this person was showing disrespect for the other passengers - reason enough to consider him a threat.

Now that's just silly. It's like the Canadian email virus going around a few years ago. You know the one:

Good day, this is a Canadian email virus.
Please forward this to everyone in your address book and then delete all the files on your hard-drive.
Thank you.

It is only as dangerous as you choose to make it. You humiliate a guy and he becomes obstinate. Big surprise there. There is enough dangerous people in the world, that you don't need to pick a fight over a t-shirt with a phrase you can't even read. As a threat to the airplane, I would look at whoever complained to security about him. It raises some questions about their emotional stability. If somebody panics over an arabic phrase what would the do in a real emergency situation, where staying calm is essential?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users