Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound problem in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

I have a problem with an ASUS windows 10 laptop. It has a Realteck HD audio soundcard/driver which on 2 occasions in the last month has become spontaneously disabled. All sound stops working suddenly, the volume control no longer displays the sound card name and the driver disapears from the list of playback devices. However when i go into device manager the sound card and its driver is there and up to date.

The only way to fix it is to reboot the machine and allow windows to run a troubleshooter scan which seems to get the sound back, although it does throw up a message about sound enhancements interfering with the sound in some way but i dont understand why/how.

Seems a complete mystery as to why this is happening, its as if something on the machine is turning the sound off at random. Windows is up to date, security seems fine and the machine is regularly scanned for spyware/malware. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Happy to supply more information if this helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:37 AM

BUMP

Anyone?

#3 msrmoshe

msrmoshe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

Was the driver recently updated/ changed?

What is the exact error message you get after the troubleshooter is run?

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:12 AM

Not sure about the driver. Checked it when the problem first occurred and on subsequent occasions (its only happened twice and not since i posted about it). Driver was up to date on both occasions.

Cant remember/no record of exact error message i am afraid, and until the problem reoccurs i cant check, but it was along the lines of sound enhancements interfering with the sound card/driver operation and would i like to disable them. i did and it seemed to help get 'normal' sound back. Sorry i cant be more specific.

There is just one thing i can think of and thats the fact that shortly before the first occurrence there had been a Windows update (dont know which), Could this have interfered with the sound card/driver in some way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users