Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Massive Updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gizzard

gizzard

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:44 AM

I purchased a refurbished laptop.

I had to install ~200 updates.

It took me a whole day downloading and installing 10 at a time because it would loop endlessly if I tried to do any more.

Is there a workaround for this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paulc05

paulc05

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

While MS didn't release a Service Pack 2 for Windows 7 there is a what is referred to a Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup. This is all the Updates up to April 2015 rolled into one package. Of course, once you've installed this you will still need all required updates that have been released since this packaged update but it helps a bit.

How to Geeks has a good article on how to get this update here - http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/ 

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:20 AM

I purchased a refurbished laptop.

I had to install ~200 updates.

It took me a whole day downloading and installing 10 at a time because it would loop endlessly if I tried to do any more.

Is there a workaround for this?

The looping part is wrong.  10 at a time is wrong.  Yes it's a royal pain and yes there's probably a workaround.  Do google searches for "standalone" and "updates".  You don't need a bazillion languages if it's Ultimate.  Hardware is most important, and Security Updates.  Everything after that can be done "whenever".  But there is no reason for the machine to not do everything all at once unless there is a problem meaning it's broken.

I just now found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

I've never tried it specifically, but these are common problems so solutions are common too.  The website is legit so whatever it suggests is going to be okay.  Worth trying.  If I were you I'd chase down the problem of why the updates won't go all at once.  Maybe that's why your "refurb" laptop was sent back in the 1st place.  A lot of vendors don't refurbish anything, they just sell other people's returns as "refurbished" and with no warranty.

#4 Kin_El

Kin_El

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Looping is wrong for sure but neither is it necessarily a one stop process simply because some updates can trigger others and sometimes they in turn spawn more - and so on.

I've just done it on a new laptop which I banished 10 from and although I wasn't counting it did take a VERY long time and involved a fair number of reboots, fortunately I've put a SSD in it so rebooting isn't a cue for nipping down to the pub for a pint !

When you have it all done then make an image of it so if you break it you don't have to got through it all over again :smash:

Imaging is a complete game changer and can make you immune :deadhorse: from just about anything.

#5 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

Thank you for your replies :)

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:43 PM

Update on progress. We (or at least I) do this to WIN.  I'm always asking "Did I win?"  "Did I help?"  "Is it fixed?"

Run chkdsk.  And do an AV scan because malware likes to interfere with Windows Updates.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#7 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

Update on progress? I'm afraid I made this thread after the matter of updating my entire WIndows update 10 updates at a time. I will definitely try these methods when I reformat my device with a clean version of Windows 7 and updating the necessary updates again :)

I will run chdsk for you, though. As for AV scan, I have MSE essentials. I'll do both come Sunday.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#8 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Okay thanks.  I was looking forward to learning about how to do all those updates in a single shot, hoping you'd do all the work and I'd get the benefit of your time and effort.  ;)

But still the looping, total update limit is wrong.  At a layman's level, it might feel "normal" that 200 million updates can't be done at all, but in technical terms that's a clear indicator that something is broken.  A lot of malware targets Windows Update because WU fixes the security holes that allows malware to operate, so the malware authors create malware that prevents WU from fixing them, in order to allow the malware to do it's thing.  All problems with WU should be taken very seriously.

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#9 Kin_El

Kin_El

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:52 AM

Some good tips on updating 7 particularly a clean install http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-12.htm

Whilst I'm not advising anybody to follow it my personal strategy with 7 (and XP before it)  has been to ignore all updates other than SP's and specific security updates (sometimes) and having been using both XP and 7 from their very beginnings hand on heart I can say that it's never caused me any problems whatsoever.

The truth is that the vast majority of updates address issues sufficiently marginal or esoteric as to be of no concern to the home user, I might add that I NEVER use Internet Explorer !

Certainly with the change to the single cumulative update I'm not going to be changing that strategy and I'd go as far as to say that it's unlikely that I'll be running Windows update on any of my 7 machines ever again.

Some might find this of interest https://www.askwoody.com/ms-defcon-system/

I'm sure I don't need to remind some people how leaving Automatic updates resulted in them waking up one morning to find a completely unwanted and unbidden Windows 10 on their computers and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if MS tried to sneak in patches which surreptitiously and incrementally converted 7 to 10, it is after all a recommended update and IMO the cumulative update is already a step in that direction.

There is no denying that to date uptake of 10 has fallen miserably short of predictions and as an upgrade has pretty much hit a brick wall and it's only new machines which are giving it any momentum at all.

By and large enterprises which is where they really need be have roundly thumbed their noses at 10 and will only make the switch at a time of their choosing or when forced to when extended support for 7 finally comes to an end in 2020.

The near universal loathing of 10 should be a God given opportunity for the Linux community to get their act together and instead of blundering along independently get together and produce a distro which is truly user friendly and a workable stepping stone to moving away from MS altogether, I'm pretty sure that's the direction I'll be going in when the day does come when 7 has to be kissed goodbye.

#10 gizzard

gizzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

I'm pretty sure that's the direction I'll be going in when the day does come when 7 has to be kissed goodbye.

Please. No more. I can only take so much, my dear friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users