Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command prompt open and closes quickly on startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CubeZapper

CubeZapper

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:09 AM

I recently resetted my laptop due to this problem, but it still persisted. Command prompt opens and closes very quickly on startup, I can't read the message on command prompt because it flashes really quickly.

I looked online and came across this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2107684/command-prompt-opens-closes-startup.html

I booted my laptop in safe mode but it still happened, it opened and quickly closed command prompt. This problem doesnt occur on my desktop. Any solutions for this issue?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:46 AM

It's not necessarily an "issue" - one of my "run at startup" programs used to cause this but it's some time ago so I cant remember what it was - maybe AMD Catalyst Control Centre or some other hardware related program - so possibly try disabling every optional program or process you have set to run at startup & see if the problem goes away.

Edited by rqt, 30 January 2017 - 04:46 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

I've seen this happen on many machines for precisely the same general reason described by rqt.  I don't consider this a problem at all unless the window stays open or something about the machine is misbehaving once startup is complete.  Even when the latter has happened, I've never traced it back to anything that triggers a Command Prompt window as part of running its own startup script.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Open Task Manager \ More details \ Startup tab.  You can check to see what you have starting there.  As others have said this might be a legitimate program that runs a command line command when it starts.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

Also check Scheduled Tasks.

#6 CubeZapper

CubeZapper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

The thing is this laptop was recently resetted and so there is no programs running on startup and the only application I have is McAfee, Dropbox and Malwarebytes...

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:50 AM

Try video recording your startup - see if you can then use pause to read the command prompt message.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

Right click in a clear space of the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

Click/tap on the Startup tab.

Create a screenshot of this and post it in this topic.  If you would prefer, you can use the Snipping tool to create the image.

In order to post the image in your topic you can use the following instructions.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 draph91

draph91

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:52 AM

can I add mine to here, the same thing happened to me, however TWO opened

Attached Files

Edited by draph91, 30 October 2017 - 02:53 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

You need to start your own topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 draph91

draph91

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

oh right

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users