Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting blue screen at startup/GPU listed n/a in DxDiag

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bartlebee03

Bartlebee03

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:23 AM

Hello, I just got a new hard drive for my computer and installed it and tried getting all of the drivers that I need for it... but I don't think I've got all the ones I need yet because I keep getting a blue screen right after the windows logo when I try to boot normally and the pc restarts. But I can use safe mode... and with networking!

This is the pc that I originally started with a long while back:

And this is what it's become now:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 7166 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580, 3 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (902 GB Free);
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, NARRA3
Antivirus: None

I think I read that I'm getting the n/a in dxdiag because I don't have my chipset drivers... which I thought installed already but maybe not since it isn't showing up and my resolution is lame. The only parts I replaced out of the original HP Pavilion Elite are the GPU for an Nvidia GeForce GTX 580, the power supply for a Cool Masters Silent Pro Gold, and just recently the hard drive for a WD Blue 1TB SATA drive (https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485752931&sr=8-1&keywords=desktop+hard+drive). I've been gaming on pc with some of my free time for as long as I can remember but I'm still a n00b when it comes to this type of stuff. So please, help a guy out?

Attached File  DxDiag.txt   8.94KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

See info re drivers at http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/PAsus-M2N68-LA-Narra3-GL8E-HP-Name-drivers-for-Windows-7/td-p/1398409 .

Louis

#3 Bartlebee03

Bartlebee03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

Thanks very much for the driver link hamluis but I already have those. Someone just told me all my drivers are up-to-date so I can at least knock that off the list of what it isn't. My GPU still isnt being detected when I use DxDiag in safe mode and I can't startup the pc normally. It boots perfectly but after the logo and before the login screen it blue screens me. I also tried running a hardware diagnostic test last night but my GPU did not get tested. So what I'm thinking is either my GPU is not working, I didnt plug it back in correctly, or for some reason it's not being detected by the motherboard? Idk...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

it's unimportant if the system says that the drivers are current...the fact is that many driver problems result not because of lack of the drivers...but because the installed drivers are damaged/corrupt and unable to perform properly.

In such cases, the drivers need to be uninstalled via Device Manager...and then reinstalled or replaced with others.

Louis

#5 Bartlebee03

Bartlebee03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

I just double checked all of my drivers to see they were all up-to-date. I even installed my old hard drive and boot that in safe mode to see if anything was missing but it's all here and even more updated than it was on my other hard drive. I ran sfc /scannow and found nothing wrong. I feel like I've tried just about everything I possibly can try from safe mode... and I'm still getting blue screen after boot but before I can log in for startup. I'm out of ideas.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 116
  BCP1: FFFFFA8008A88010
  BCP2: FFFFF8800F346BF4
  BCP3: 0000000000000000
  BCP4: 0000000000000002
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\013017-27783-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Cobra\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-39515-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Let's see whether if we can take a look at the dump files. Please navigate to:

%SystemRoot%\Minidump

and zip up the .dmp files in that directory. If you run into permission problems, simply copy/paste them onto your desktop and zip them up from there.

P.S. The 0x00000116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR bugcheck code indicated in the WER report points to issues with your NVIDIA graphics card, as you may already know. I suspect we're dealing with hardware, so please complete all these hardware diagnostics, starting with the video card tests.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 Bartlebee03

Bartlebee03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

Here is the Dmp stuff you asked for:

Attached File  Dmp Stuff.zip   1.31MB   3 downloads

#8 Bartlebee03

Bartlebee03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

And I would love to try the hardware diagnostic test starting with gpu first but I already ran the one that came with windows 7. My GPU did not get tested because it is listed as n/a in DxDiag and was listed as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" or something in device manager under display before I updated the drivers for it. It's light is on and fan is moving...

It's still listed as n/a in DxDiag. But is that normal for safe mode?

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

Greetings,

I've just had a look at the dumps, and indeed, they were all 0x116 bugchecks. This is a fairly common one, and it points to something related to your graphics card.

The first dump was on January 28, was that the first BSOD? I'm wondering whether if a NVIDIA driver update caused the problems, as the update was on January 20. To begin the troubleshooting process:

If the BSODs continue, can you purchase another graphics card and test it out? (Make sure you can return the graphics card with no penalty.) I still believe that it's related to hardware, since the BSOD occurs at start-up.

Good luck!

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#10 Bartlebee03

Bartlebee03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

I think it has to be a driver update because after installing windows 7 ultimate sp1 on my new hard drive I don't get the blue screen.... but after I use windows update or start installing any drivers I start getting the BSoD every startup. I dont get it. I'll test what you want me to test - just give me some time to do it and I'll report back

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

FWIW:  The general feeling is that users should not allow Windows Update to install drivers for a system.  Either the OEM website (if OEM system) or the component manufacturer's website...are much safer choices, since the driver bank used by Windows Update...may not necessarily reflect the correct driver for a given system.

Louis

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

That makes sense — I totally agree with Louis. :)

You may want to try using an older driver for testing purposes.

http://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention, I don't think the video card tests will work in Safe Mode, so disregard them for now.

Edited by bwv848, 31 January 2017 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users