Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing font size

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yudell426

yudell426

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Here's an easy one guys. How do i make my printing fonts larger?  i've gone over and over the printing program and can't find the proper setting. I'm using the HP Photosmart C4580 printer, and the fonts is so small one can barely read the page. It wasn't like that for years........just recently. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

This is not normally controlled by the printer, per se, but by the program you're printing from.  What are you printing from?  There are often scaling factors in the print dialog and if one of those accidentally gets set to something like 10%, for example, you get microprint if a typical font size is being used.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 yudell426

yudell426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for responding.

I'm confused when you say "what program are you printing from" ?

Do you mean the installation program that came with the printer? I just dug thru an old box i have here with my HP stuff in it. The original disc I used to install software for the printer says.....hmmm   windows 7 version 13.0.0  Maybe that's the problem? The software is incompatible with Windows 10

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

No, I mean what program are you using when you go to the print button, print menu, or the like.

One is typically in something like Microsoft Word, Libre Office Writer, one's web browser of choice, etc., when one does whatever it is that's needed to trigger something to print.

Once you've done that, sometimes you get your printer's own dialog coming up, but it depends on how the program invokes print.  The print dialog used by your printer may be slightly different than mine, which is a Canon MG5500 series, but virtually all printers have the features I'm about to describe.

Here are two examples of the Page Layout tab of the Print Dialog for my printer, the first being the normal page size (which is the default type for most printers):

Normal-Size.jpg

Notice that the option to automatically reduce large documents is checked by default.   If whatever you happen to be looking at in the program you're viewing it is a large (as in would print very large at 100%) document that the program already scales to allow you to see it fitted to the screen somehow, it's possible that it might be being automatically processed to "shrink to fit" the paper size you're using.

Another possibility is that someone, somehow at some point switched the default options for your printer to use scaling (or possibly fit to page):

Scaled.jpg

If you're trying to print what would normally fit on a regular 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 100% size, but someone has tweaked the printer such that scaled output is now the default and it's at 20 or 30% of full size, that will shrink the whole thing down to a tiny portion of the page.

This might also have nothing to do with your printer itself, but the print settings in the program you're printing from.  I have frequently seen web browsers do some "interesting" things as far as scaling goes and I've had to grab my partner's laptop when he's printing something that appears normal sized on the screen but is printing in tiny size to see where he's printing from and what the print settings are from that program (usually a web browser) just before he hits the Print button.

Tiny printing is almost always correctable by you, the end user, but you need to figure out what's causing it first, and you haven't offered enough information about what you're trying to print and what program you're trying to print it from for me to give you much of any specific guidance.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 yudell426

yudell426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

I've tried to print from the google chrome browser, the HP print command, and the default Microsoft print program with the same result from all 3.......tiny fonts. Now, the two dialog boxes you show would definitely  solve the problem. The dialog boxes i have don't offer the options you have. They only offer different paper styles. No scaling options. But i did notice someone checked the box that said "fit to paper". I unchecked it, to no avail. I made a copy from the printer glass, and the font was normal size. Before, it reduced the size even from there. So that is progress. I'm starting to think there is an incompatibility problem with windows 10 and this printer. 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

The first thing I'd do is to uninstall the device from "Devices & Printers" then see what Windows comes up with for a driver when you plug it back in again.  Even if you're using it as a wireless device you would want to let Windows set it up wired first.

That or you could go to HP's support pages for this device and see if they have software that's specifically marked as Windows 10 compatible.  If so I'd delete whatever you currently have installed and reinstall.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 yudell426

yudell426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

I'll try the uninstall. I tried going to HP, and they gave me some new software to install none of which solved the problem. 

I just did the uninstall/reinstall. One thing i did notice while requesting new drivers, HP identified my OS as windows 8. I changed that to windows 10 and it offered a different driver package. Thinking i was finally going to get the answers i was looking for, while the download was taking place that damned fake Ms virus alert cut in and stopped the download!  This virus alert only pops up while using IE explorer. Apparently, HP automatically switches to IE for its downloads. I'll try Chrome and see if i can complete the download.

Edited by yudell426, 12 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#8 yudell426

yudell426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Ok..I went to HP forums, and many people were having the same problem. Apparently there are no settings for this printer where i can manually adjust the font size. The only solution ther offered was to copy the webpage to MS Word and adjust the font size from that program. That worked. Good enough for me! This seems to be a major flaw from HP in their software for this machine.

Thank you Brian for your help. 

Edited by yudell426, 14 February 2017 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users