Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When starting up Windows, (My) Computer window opens every time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wthsthat?!

wthsthat?!

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium; Lenovo Z580 Ideapad core i3:

I am not sure why this happened (but I am 99.9% sure it is not due to any malware (as I am careful, use Noscript, use my own AV and online AV to check for malware, etc) but when I startup Windows, a Computer window opens up. I am not sure but it could have happened after I updated my computer with a MS SQL Server download, after seeing that I should do so on my Secunia PSI. I ended up deleting the program as I don't really need it, but it seemed after that, the Computer window opened upon startup. Again, I am not sure if this is the case, but it might've been the culprit. 

My machine isn't that slow to start up, as I use CCleaner to check startup programs, and it is decently powered,  but the Computer window is more a nuisance than anything. I hate that I have to close it every time I start up. 

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this? 

Here are some things I have tried already:

1. went online, found some related entries and tried some registry changes/checked to see similarities, but my registry keys were already in the state described after the fix/es or not the same at all.

2. went to safe mode/clean startup etc and didn't find the offending program

3. looked at CCleaner startup entries (and MSCONFIG) and didn't find any entries related to this window opening (as far as I know)

4. tried using Autoruns but there is nothing on any of the tabs that relates....or there are a couple that can't be stopped...I have tried a few but they were not the right entries, and then it was a pain to restart those entries. 

4. Tried Process Explorer and could not find the problem using this program either

As I said, I have confidence it isn't malware, (or WAS malware) and it isn't too big a deal but it would nice to not have to close the window each time on startup. 

Thanks

Edited by wthsthat?!, 29 January 2017 - 07:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

Is this the sort of thing you did?

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/fix-windows-explorer-window-opening-on-startup/

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/documents-folder-opens-automatically-windows-startup

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-management-support/32663-my-computer-window-opens-start-up-windows-7-a.html

#3 wthsthat?!

wthsthat?!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

Thanks, yes those are all links that I have tried, or after I clicked them (such as registry changes) they didn't have the same keys, so I was not able to use them. Thanks for trying. I appreciate it.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:48 AM

Did you also take a look at Task Scheduler  ... just in case

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/first-steps-working-task-scheduler

#5 wthsthat?!

wthsthat?!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:37 AM

No I haven't heard of this tool. Hmmm...I'll definitely check it out! Thanks! It looks like it could be more able to "pinpoint" tasks unlike Autoruns which is all or nothing in some areas. thanks so much!! I'll let you know!

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#6 wthsthat?!

wthsthat?!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Did you also take a look at Task Scheduler  ... just in case

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/first-steps-working-task-scheduler

Ok I looked at this, but never using this tool, I didn't know quite what to do. I figured out finally-that I would be looking for some task, that is connected to the opening of the Computer window- that is scheduled for log on and then I would just delete that task, but I didn't see anything like that. I saw some others that were scheduled for running on log on, but wasn't sure what they were so I didn't do anything with them. Do you know what are the area or program the task might be running from? or have ideas on how to find this task or what could be opening/running it? Thanks for your help!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users