This happened to me a long while back.
I (think) that this is what I did to fix it.
IE > Tools > Internet options > Security > Trusted sites > Sites
Add this site (MSN) to the trusted zone > add > Ok > apply > ok
I found it to be strange that when using IE (back then) I was not able to access
MSN sites and my hotmail. It was all of a sudden too. I had no problems up till then.
If the same holds with your hotmail (if you use it that is) add hotmail to trusted sites too.
Just a suggestion. It seemed to work for me.
As to your second problem, not sure what to tell you. Hopefully someone else
will be able to help.