Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft/msn Browsing Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nfithteen

Nfithteen

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hi everyone i am very new to all this computer business and i would give many thanks to the person who can help me with my VERY frustrating situation.

Ok, firstly i have just recently installed Windows XP PRO + SP2. I use firefox to browse and i can view all other web pages other then Microsoft and MSN pages. I thought it would be because of firefox but i get the same results when i use internet explorer.

Secondly, i am also having problems logging on to msn messenger!? I have tried many times but when the " .NET passport wizard " is downloading infromation from the service provider it always seems to fail every time i try saying "The wizard could not connect to the internet, or the web service returned a wizard page that is bot valid" !?!

My computer is connected via X-cross cable from my downstairs PC (main) through a internet gatway.

Could the problem be from the way i have networked my computers?
Could it be somthing i have to change on the main PC?

PLZ help i am bewillderd on what to do and Frustrated about the situation

Many thanks in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

Could you explain your browser problem in a little more detail?
What, exactly, happens when you try to browse the Microsoft site?
What happens when using Firefox?
What happens when using IE?
Are there any error messages?
If so, what was the exact error message?
Have you updated, and run your antivirus?
Have you done any online virus scans?
Have you run any Spyware/Malware programs?
What Spyware/Malware programs do you use?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

Have you, by any chance, blocked cookies from MSN? That'll kill many of the Microsoft sites all by itself!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

This happened to me a long while back.
I (think) that this is what I did to fix it.

IE > Tools > Internet options > Security > Trusted sites > Sites
Add this site (MSN) to the trusted zone > add > Ok > apply > ok

I found it to be strange that when using IE (back then) I was not able to access
MSN sites and my hotmail. It was all of a sudden too. I had no problems up till then.
If the same holds with your hotmail (if you use it that is) add hotmail to trusted sites too.

Just a suggestion. It seemed to work for me. :thumbsup:

As to your second problem, not sure what to tell you. Hopefully someone else
will be able to help.
Posted Image

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:33 PM

Windows Updates and other Microsoft pages require Active X to function and will not work properly with Firefox.

I suspect that is the problem you are experiencing with other Microsoft pages as well, including net passport pages.

You must use Internet Explorer and the Active X settings must be as follows:

Active X settings IE

In Internet Explorer click on the “tools” tab
Click on “Internet Options”
Click the “Security” tab
Click “Custom Level”

Under Active X Controls and Plugins

Download Signed Active X Controls
Choose “prompt”

Download Unsigned Active X Controls
Choose disable

Initialize and Script Active X controls not marked as safe
Disable

Run Active X controls and plugins
Enable

Script Active X Controls marked as safe
Enable

When you are prompted to allow an Active X control to download - allow it.
You will see a yellow band across the top of the IE window when so prompted, allowing you to authorize it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users