Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspicious 'imitation' network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stackhouse

stackhouse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

Today I noticed an unknown network named "Stock's network", the source of which seemed to be my own router. I cannot manage the properties of this network nor find any information on what it is. What makes this especially alarming is its name, as my actual network's name is "Stack's Network". I could just be paranoid, but the signal strength is much too strong to be coming from a neighbor and the nature of this connection is abnormal. Is this some sort of malware? My connection speed isn't as fast as it once was and is generally pretty shoddy, however it has been like this long before this strange network appeared. I've ran anti-malware software and changed my network's security type from WEP to WPA2. My computer hasn't really been acting strange but I was wondering if anyone may know what this might be. Thanks!

EDIT: Occasionally a weak "Hidden Network" will appear for a moment, pictured below

Attached Files

• Attached File  xc.png   15.45KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  rt.png   125.83KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2017 - 05:31 PM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blipcomuse

blipcomuse

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:52 AM

I have faced something similar. Suddenly one afternoon, I noticed a network which was secured with a password with the name of my PC. It went away after a few minutes. But then I was wondering why it would appear at the first place especially with my PC name. I use an internet network provided by my landlord and he is a networking engineer. I am wondering if he has connected my computer to some screening secured server or something and monitoring my access. Also sometimes I see my cursor randomly moving to the screen's corner and opening "show desktop" "peek at desktop" option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users