Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop dead ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Trickletrack

Trickletrack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hi .
I have a HP laptop running Windows 7
Screen went black suddenly and showed a cursor in the top left corner. Not move able. I held the start button to restart but it no longer starts.
No lights no sound. I to reset ..removed battery and used AC only. Still nothing.
There is power running through it however as I can plug my phone into USB and charge it. So the adaptor is fine .
Help !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Screen went black suddenly and showed a cursor in the top left corner

This says the computer cannot find a boot sector, which suggests your HD has died. Before you do anything else you need to think about getting the data off this drive unless you have a full recent back-up. Assuming that you haven't . . .

Basically two ways to try this. The first is to take out the HD and slave it to another computer, perhaps using a USB caddy, and copy the data off it that way. The other is to use some form of Linux to try booting the computer and copying the data off it that way. Any self-booting Linux will do but I recommend Puppy because I keep a copy on my desk for exactly this sort of situation. You can get it and instructions on how to use it here -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

It downloads as an ISO file which needs to be burnt to either a CD or a memory stick. Since you haven't given any details on your computer I don't know if it has an optical drive or not. If it hasn't, then you will need to use something like Rufus to create a bootable USB, which you can get here -

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Whichever way you go, if the computer boots with Puppy then you will be able to copy your data to external storage unless the HD failure has been catastrophic, ie it is totally dead. Puppy does not use your hard drive, it runs entirely in RAM.

Once you have recovered your data I would suggest the use of the Seagate Tools for DOS to check out your hard drive, you can get them here -

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-dos-master/

Then you will know if your drive is repairable, worth repairing, or needs to be replaced.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users