Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant type in Windows 10 dialogue boxes, Cortana, Calc, or provide Wifi passwords

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 ralphyost

ralphyost

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

My Windows 10 system has lost the ability to let me type in Windows dialogue boxes, such as typing in the Cortana search, or if i connected to a new WiFi network to type in the Wifi password, or to type numbers in CALC. (This occurred right after Malwarebytes AntiMalware Version 3 was run on my machine which resulted in boot problems when rootkit scan was used.)

I have researched this on the Internet and used all of the solutions provided thus far. I solicited help from the Microsoft Community but no solution for me has been found. Tried all of the solutions they provided for other uses with the same problem.

See thread here

Can't type anything in Win 10 Apps (Cortana, Search, Calculator, Feedback, etc.)

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help to fix this unique problem.....if you are up for the challenge !

R.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

It would help if you would supply the make and model of your computer and, if you know it, which build of Win 10 you are runnning

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ralphyost

ralphyost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Hello Chris

Thank you for taking your time to help me.

I am running Windows 10 Home version 1607, OS Build 14393.576 on a Dell Inspiron computer purchased in 2011 with Windows 7. I accepted the free upgrade to Windows 10.

thanks

R.

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Chris:

I helped Ralph over in the "Logs" Forum; see this topic.  Whatever is causing his issue is not malware related, to the best of my knowledge.

Submitted for your information.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

If you create a new user account can you type normally?

#6 ralphyost

ralphyost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hi John

Good suggestion. Created a new user account and the same problem exists in that account.

thanks

R.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

The only thing I came across was this and I am not sure it will help.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/cant-type-in-windows-10-search-bar/7dce8411-8671-4d3e-90d1-b9bdc0aa4734

I would have recommended doing a System Restore but in Microsoft's infinite wisdom decided to turn off System Restore in Windows 10 by default unless that has changed.

#8 ralphyost

ralphyost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi John

Thank you for looking at this on my behalf. I appreciate your time here.

I could not do a system restore after it happened because I was in the middle of troubleshooting a malware problem here on Bleeping Computer in another thread with Phil. So I had to leave it all alone until that was resolved so I didnt mess up his troubleshooting process. Now that is done I can address the inability to type in Windows 10 dialogue boxes.

If you look at the thread I referenced in my intro post here, it is pretty much the same solutions offered as the one you posted. I tried all of them before i came her to ask for help, and tried all of them before I asked for help in that thread on the Microsoft Community.

Hence I ended up here looking for help. This is not going to be easy.

thanks for your attention.

R.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

Is System Restore enabled and do you have a restore point available before the Malwarebytes scan? If that brings back your ability to type then you could continue your thread in the Virus Removal forum and hopefully clean the system without having the typing issue reappear.

Have you every done a sfc /scannow at the command prompt?

#10 ralphyost

ralphyost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

No, I do not have the ability to restore prior to the use of Malwarebyte Anti Malware 3.0 in which it was broken.

thanks

R.

#11 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

You say stems restore is broken? Are there still restore point on your machine if we can fix system restore?

That would possibly be the best way to continue for you I think?

Oh and have you tried restore in safe mode? / or at boot up?

Edited by HolyCowz, 30 January 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#12 ralphyost

ralphyost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

No, I did not say that system restore was broken. Let me clarify:

I do not have the ability to restore prior to the use of Malwarebyte Anti Malware 3.0 in which THE TYPING became broken.

Tried in SAFE MODE. Problem remains in SAFE MODE as well.

My Windows 10 system has lost the ability to let me type in Windows dialogue boxes, such as typing in the Cortana search, or if i connected to a new WiFi network to type in the Wifi password, or to type numbers in CALC. (This occurred right after Malwarebytes AntiMalware Version 3 was run on my machine which resulted in boot problems when rootkit scan was used.)

I have researched this on the Internet and used all of the solutions provided thus far. I solicited help from the Microsoft Community but no solution for me has been found. Tried all of the solutions they provided for other uses with the same problem.

See thread here

Can't type anything in Win 10 Apps (Cortana, Search, Calculator, Feedback, etc.)

thanks

R,

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

If you look at the registry hives in C:\Windows\system32\config\Regback are their dates before the Malware scan?

Edit: Have you done a sfc /scannow at the command prompt?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#14 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

May I ask did sfc scan identify any problems? and the same for DISM scan you did?

Edited by HolyCowz, 30 January 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#15 ralphyost

ralphyost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

In completing the malware troubleshooting process, all of my restore points were deleted yesterday just a few minutes to requesting help in this thread.

I also cannot restore prior to last week, even if possible, because that would restore the malware that took us about a month or more to eliminate.

Searched for that registry hive but could not find it.

thanks

R,

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users