Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreaded windows repair loop!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Hello all,

Either this computer or it's version of lemon (meant to say windows...I'll leave it) is a complete lemon or my attempts to fix it made it worse.

I got this computer 3 years ago and it has given me problems about 3 months in. obviously such a long time ago i dont remember what it was.

However, recent(ish) troubles, from as far back as a year ago, have been like this: While trying to format and install windows, which i'd done a million time, I formatted the C: drive. I think it was due to the same issue as i have now. it was a bad idea because i had to sort out a copy of windows and at the time i had issues downloading 8.1 so i just ran windows 7. i installed the wrong windows version (it was stable, unlike this one), but it was 32 bit so my 8gb of ram was only 2.4gb usable. So it overheated a lot. for the first 7 or so months it was kind of fine though, i guess eventually the dust got so bad that I noticed, that the temperature was too high, eventually it stopped working completely. Then it was ok for a bit then the hard drive failed and I had to buy a new one and install it. I put windows 8.1 on it, downloaded from microsoft. It enever asks me for a key, so i assume its on part of the bios or something.

This is probably in part due to my negligence, using this computer for a week without installing windows update, but my updater is broken and I've tried to use the windows updater troublshooting tool, but it didn't help (it found and repaired problems, but nothing worked even after restarting).

So just put it off for a while, with my out of the box windows 8.1, which is absolutely terrible, and actually was part of the reason my hard drive failed and I just replaced it last week.

If anyone has a way to fix it i'd be very grateful. I tried runnning Boot configuration database bcdedit but It wont recognize the command bcdedit /set (number retrieved from resumeobject in bcdedit).

It is looking in X:/windows/system32 shouldn;'t int be in the C:/ drive. that's how Imade these partitions. Hey I think this topic is just taking an interesting turn...thanks for hopping on the crazy computer troubleshooting train! Anyway, looks like maybe that's why when I run bcdedit /set <number from resumeobject) recoveryenabled no, that's why it doesnt work because it cant find /set.

Anyway if that's the case, how would I proceed?
Specifications:
Toshiba satelite S50-Ad (Canadian version)
2.1Ghz AMD A10
radeon GT8600 dual graphics
WD 500gb hard drive (just installed last week)
8gb ram
Windows 8.1 (came with my toshiba satellite)

Let me know if any more information is useful. This is the best I can do, but I can put screenshots (photos...actually), of my computer screen, but at the moment my tablet which has a crappy battery might give out before I do that as I'm using it to write this.

Just to repeat the computer should be really close to what it is like out of the box, I haven't changed much at all with windows, just added a few programs including graphics like amd and direct x drivers, but no system updates.

I would system restore now but Ican't as I have no restore point, and also I would rather not format as I have been playing skyrim straight for the last 18 or so hours (don't judge) and I would be between frustrated and heatbroken if I need to reformat again.

Edit : I just tried the instructions posted here for Windows 7 https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487747/laptop-boots-from-random-x-drive-instead-of-c-help-please/, I seem to be getting the same results. I'm at the end now and waiting for bcd to be fixed

Lol. Now I have an orange and white striped screen with a single underscore. Im trying to run bootsec as described here http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

OK just tried that, it according to my machine, the bootsect "might be unreliable as it is not updated". I also got an access denied messsge, but a "successfully installed" final message. The screen is the same...

Figers crossed its not hardware and it might be.

Edited by accidentally, 29 January 2017 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

The command to rebuild the BCD is bootrec /rebuildbcd.

If this command is successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

If you can't get any updates you can run the Update Troubleshooter.

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Clicking on the link above will automatically start the download.

Please post the results in your topic.

If this doesn't work you can reset the update components.

Reset Update Components

Open Notebook and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hi archive thank you, I can't do any of that at the moment. I ran the command you wrote though, by I have the orange screen still. It installed succesfully.

When I open cmd, it asks me to write a source first, so I write c:. Is that indicative of something?

Could it be that the windows partition is getting full? A lot of games save there by default and I made it kind of small. But it seems like more of a graphics drivers and booting issue.

Edited by accidentally, 29 January 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Can you boot into Windows at all?

If you can press the Windows key and the R key together.  When the Run box opens type in msconfig, then click OK.

When System Configuration opens click on the Boot tab, then click in the Safe boot box.

Then click on Apply, and then OK.

Reboot the computer.

The computer will boot into Safe Mode which uses a limited number of applications and drivers.  The graphics driver used in Safe Mode is a native Windows driver, not the driver usually used in normal operation.  If the graphics problem isn't exhibited in Safe Mode this is a good indication that the problem is driver related.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Alright well problem solved: I reformated.

This is pretty much how I've been using this computer. Every once in a while it needs a reformat. I think it's because the graphics drivers either don't exist, aren't compatable with the version of windows, I don't think there is support for my graphics driver from AMD, as I have to download the legacy version (which installs, with errors). Any graphics driver I've ever tried on this computer pretty much gives me errors. The only thing I've really done on this PC is recorded some videos and played games since I installed the HDD last week and they were all (I think) on the windows partition, which I didn't overwrite as I just overwrote the main partition I made with the remaining 450gb. I think I'll do the same thing in case windows acts up again.

I got pretty much everything I needed without fixing it and I think reinstalling my programs is way quicker than troubleshooting this problem. The only issue is that I have to do it eventually. My plan was just to update to windows 10, at least that might fix the windows update issue. I'll try to do it manually from your instructions (the troubleshooter.exe doesn't work as said in my previous post) and update. This graphics driver compatability issue, if thats what it is still has to be taken care of!

On reflection of this experience, I think as a product windows never does what you want and is more of a collection of system files, but the whole thing is incredible.

Edited by accidentally, 29 January 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

In order to be able to help you and hopefully stop this cycle of reinstalling Windows as a solution we need more specific information.  In order to provide us with this in formation please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy and paste it in your topic.

#7 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

Hey DC3, sorry for the late reply, here is the information you asked for. I should add, in addition to windows update being a potential ticking timebomb (ie. if I leave it on by accident it can send my computer into a loop again), I also have an extra copy of windows on my system which I can't format through windows explorer. I know there are other programs that can delete entire partitions, but I'm curious why I cant do it on windows explorer. Also, curious about why when I installed windows the most recent drive it did not format the drive. The other copy of windows is not doing anything bad but my disk space is quite limited so at some point I have to get rid of the 32gb that partition is using for nothing.

I'm not sure if the power supply question applies to laptops, mine is a Toshhiba satellite s50d-a, with the stock charger, but if you want more info I can look at it.

speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ym37hUwY6MO0Ru0aCNxARjS

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 17-06-2016
Ran by xxxxx (administrator) on 08-02-2017 at 12:21:02
Running from "C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 8.1  (X64)
Model: Satellite S50D-A Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (02/07/2017 11:53:24 AM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: The program Camera.exe version 6.3.9600.17418 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 134c

Start Time: 01d27f3ce7c30662

Termination Time: 4294967295

Application Path: C:\Windows\Camera\Camera.exe

Report Id: eed09e77-ed55-11e6-8254-0c54a5335cc1

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MoCamera_6.3.9600.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.Camera

Error: (02/04/2017 05:00:00 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: svchost (1384) SRUJet: Error -1811 (0xfffff8ed) occurred while opening logfile C:\Windows\system32\SRU\SRU00044.log.

Error: (02/04/2017 04:59:20 PM) (Source: Perflib) (User: )
Description: rdyboost4

Error: (02/04/2017 04:59:17 PM) (Source: Perflib) (User: )
Description: BITSC:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll4

Error: (02/04/2017 04:44:31 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: svchost.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504177
Faulting module name: wmisvc.dll_unloaded, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504053
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001a360
Faulting process id: 0x140
Faulting application start time: 0xsvchost.exe0
Faulting application path: svchost.exe1
Faulting module path: svchost.exe2
Report Id: svchost.exe3
Faulting package full name: svchost.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: svchost.exe5

Error: (02/04/2017 04:44:19 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Error number 0x80041014 was returned in trying to initialize Windows Management Instrumentation Service. This could be due to a badly installed version of WMI, WMI repository upgrade failure, insufficient disk space or insufficient memory.

Error: (02/01/2017 06:20:10 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller) (User: AHMEDPC)
Description: Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.MFC,version="9.0.30729.6161",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x800736B3. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {106BBB06-46FA-3230-8A99-836161C13A0C}

Error: (01/29/2017 10:18:11 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: playstv_launcher.exe, version: 1.17.6.0, time stamp: 0x57d85695
Faulting module name: pi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504b0d
Exception code: 0xc0000135
Fault offset: 0x000a36e5
Faulting process id: 0xb04
Faulting application start time: 0xplaystv_launcher.exe0
Faulting application path: playstv_launcher.exe1
Faulting module path: playstv_launcher.exe2
Report Id: playstv_launcher.exe3
Faulting package full name: playstv_launcher.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: playstv_launcher.exe5

Error: (01/29/2017 10:16:16 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: playstv_launcher.exe, version: 1.17.6.0, time stamp: 0x57d85695
Faulting module name: pi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504b0d
Faulting process id: 0xd54
Faulting application start time: 0xplaystv_launcher.exe0
Faulting application path: playstv_launcher.exe1
Faulting module path: playstv_launcher.exe2
Report Id: playstv_launcher.exe3
Faulting package full name: playstv_launcher.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: playstv_launcher.exe5

Error: (01/29/2017 10:16:14 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: plays_service.exe, version: 1.17.6.0, time stamp: 0x57d85696
Faulting process id: 0x1738
Faulting application start time: 0xplays_service.exe0
Faulting application path: plays_service.exe1
Faulting module path: plays_service.exe2
Report Id: plays_service.exe3
Faulting package full name: plays_service.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: plays_service.exe5

System errors:
=============
Error: (02/07/2017 04:13:25 PM) (Source: Win32k) (User: )
Description: A pointer device does not have a mandatory coordinate property.

Error: (02/04/2017 04:53:07 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Windows Search service hung on starting.

Error: (02/04/2017 04:50:38 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The event logging service encountered an error (5) while enabling publisher {0BF2FB94-7B60-4B4D-9766-E82F658DF540} to channel Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-ShimEngine/Operational. This does not affect channel operation, but does affect the ability of the publisher to raise events to the channel. One common reason for this error is that the Provider is using ETW Provider Security and has not granted enable permissions to the Event Log service identity.

Error: (02/04/2017 04:50:12 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The event logging service encountered an error (5) while enabling publisher {0BF2FB94-7B60-4B4D-9766-E82F658DF540} to channel Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-ShimEngine/Operational. This does not affect channel operation, but does affect the ability of the publisher to raise events to the channel. One common reason for this error is that the Provider is using ETW Provider Security and has not granted enable permissions to the Event Log service identity.

Error: (02/04/2017 04:44:38 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Superfetch service terminated with the following error: 
%%1747 = The authentication service is unknown.

Error: (02/04/2017 04:44:35 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Themes service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The User Profile Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Multimedia Class Scheduler service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Device Setup Manager service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Description: The Application Experience service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (02/07/2017 11:53:24 AM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: Camera.exe6.3.9600.17418134c01d27f3ce7c306624294967295C:\Windows\Camera\Camera.exeeed09e77-ed55-11e6-8254-0c54a5335cc1Microsoft.MoCamera_6.3.9600.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewyMicrosoft.Camera

Error: (02/04/2017 05:00:00 PM) (Source: ESENT)(User: )
Description: svchost1384SRUJet: C:\Windows\system32\SRU\SRU00044.log-1811 (0xfffff8ed)

Error: (02/04/2017 04:59:20 PM) (Source: Perflib)(User: )
Description: rdyboost4

Error: (02/04/2017 04:59:17 PM) (Source: Perflib)(User: )
Description: BITSC:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll4

Error: (02/04/2017 04:44:31 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: svchost.exe6.3.9600.1741554504177wmisvc.dll_unloaded6.3.9600.1741554504053c0000005000000000001a36014001d27f2fc5424585C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exewmisvc.dll1c1e1305-eb23-11e6-8251-0c54a5335cc1

Error: (02/04/2017 04:44:19 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI)(User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: 0x80041014

Error: (02/01/2017 06:20:10 PM) (Source: MsiInstaller)(User: AHMEDPC)
Description: Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 -- Error 1935.An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.MFC,version="9.0.30729.6161",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32"'. Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT: 0x800736B3. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {106BBB06-46FA-3230-8A99-836161C13A0C}(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)(NULL)

Error: (01/29/2017 10:18:11 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: playstv_launcher.exe1.17.6.057d85695pi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll6.3.9600.1741554504b0dc0000135000a36e5b0401d27aa779830d27C:\Program Files (x86)\Raptr Inc\PlaysTV\playstv_launcher.exepi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dllba3a51f1-e69a-11e6-824f-0c54a5335cc1

Error: (01/29/2017 10:16:16 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: playstv_launcher.exe1.17.6.057d85695pi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll6.3.9600.1741554504b0dc0000135000a36e5d5401d27aa73689dd03C:\Program Files (x86)\Raptr Inc\PlaysTV\playstv_launcher.exepi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll75baa2fe-e69a-11e6-824f-0c54a5335cc1

Error: (01/29/2017 10:16:14 PM) (Source: Application Error)(User: )
Description: plays_service.exe1.17.6.057d85696pi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll6.3.9600.1741554504b0dc0000135000a36e5173801d27aa7368411e7C:\Program Files (x86)\Raptr Inc\PlaysTV\plays_service.exepi-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll748779ac-e69a-11e6-824f-0c54a5335cc1

CodeIntegrity Errors:
===================================
  Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:32.134
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\wow64.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:31.947
  Description: Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\wow64.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:31.728

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:31.541

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:31.338

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:31.134

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:30.916

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:30.744

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:30.572

Date: 2017-02-04 15:17:30.369

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

µTorrent (HKCU\...\uTorrent) (Version: 3.4.9.43085 - BitTorrent Inc.)
Ace Stream Media 3.1.12.1 (HKCU\...\AceStream) (Version: 3.1.12.1 - Ace Stream Media)
Adobe AIR (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe AIR) (Version: 3.1.0.4880 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Help Manager (HKLM-x32\...\chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1) (Version: 4.0.244 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Illustrator CS6 (HKLM-x32\...\{4869414E-7AEA-4C8E-BE1C-8D40977FD517}) (Version: 16.0 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 (HKLM-x32\...\{793C2BF7-A4FE-4608-91C9-9282C5801C21}) (Version: 16.0 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 (HKLM-x32\...\{38C72D42-0672-43B1-9E05-E7631684F9A1}) (Version: 9.0.0 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
AMD Catalyst Install Manager (HKLM\...\{572C982F-95F5-0562-AE8F-8A9D7D024A88}) (Version: 8.0.916.0 - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
AMD Quick Stream (HKLM\...\{E9EED4AE-682B-4501-9574-D09A21717599}_is1) (Version: 4.0.0.0 - AppEx Networks)
AVG (HKLM\...\AvgZen) (Version: 1.126.2.56387 - AVG Technologies)
AVG Protection (HKLM-x32\...\AVG Antivirus) (Version: 17.1.3006 - AVG Technologies)
AVG Zen (HKLM\...\{AE80176B-1F47-45D1-866A-592BA184EEE9}) (Version: 1.126.7 - AVG Technologies) Hidden
CCleaner (HKLM\...\CCleaner) (Version: 5.25 - Piriform)
ClassIn (HKLM-x32\...\{6E99AD1E-9072-4F71-9676-800F699786B5}_is1) (Version: 1.6.0.200 - Beijing EEO Education Technology Co., Ltd.)
FMW 1 (HKLM\...\{23B70FAD-E859-4444-BA81-BD66DBF28F30}) (Version: 1.152.5 - AVG Technologies) Hidden
Google Chrome (HKLM-x32\...\Google Chrome) (Version: 56.0.2924.87 - Google Inc.)
Google Update Helper (HKLM-x32\...\{60EC980A-BDA2-4CB6-A427-B07A5498B4CA}) (Version: 1.3.32.7 - Google Inc.) Hidden
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (HKLM-x32\...\{710f4c1c-cc18-4c49-8cbf-51240c89a1a2}) (Version: 8.0.61001 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (HKLM\...\{ad8a2fa1-06e7-4b0d-927d-6e54b3d31028}) (Version: 8.0.61000 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM\...\{5FCE6D76-F5DC-37AB-B2B8-22AB8CEDB1D4}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (HKLM-x32\...\{9A25302D-30C0-39D9-BD6F-21E6EC160475}) (Version: 9.0.30729 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (HKLM-x32\...\{9BE518E6-ECC6-35A9-88E4-87755C07200F}) (Version: 9.0.30729.6161 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (HKLM\...\{1D8E6291-B0D5-35EC-8441-6616F567A0F7}) (Version: 10.0.40219 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (HKLM-x32\...\{F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}) (Version: 10.0.40219 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030 (HKLM-x32\...\{ca67548a-5ebe-413a-b50c-4b9ceb6d66c6}) (Version: 11.0.61030.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030 (HKLM-x32\...\{33d1fd90-4274-48a1-9bc1-97e33d9c2d6f}) (Version: 11.0.61030.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.30501 (HKLM-x32\...\{050d4fc8-5d48-4b8f-8972-47c82c46020f}) (Version: 12.0.30501.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.30501 (HKLM-x32\...\{f65db027-aff3-4070-886a-0d87064aabb1}) (Version: 12.0.30501.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.24212 (HKLM-x32\...\{462f63a8-6347-4894-a1b3-dbfe3a4c981d}) (Version: 14.0.24212.0 - Microsoft Corporation)
PDF Settings CS6 (HKLM-x32\...\{BFEAAE77-BD7F-4534-B286-9C5CB4697EB1}) (Version: 11.0 - Adobe Systems Incorporated) Hidden
PlaysTV (HKLM-x32\...\PlaysTV) (Version: 1.17.6-r119262-release - Plays.tv, LLC)
Raptr (HKLM-x32\...\Raptr) (Version: 5.2.7-r116720-release - Raptr, Inc)
Speccy (HKLM\...\Speccy) (Version: 1.30 - Piriform)
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (HKLM\...\SynTPDeinstKey) (Version: 17.0.10.51 - Synaptics Incorporated)
The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim - Legendary Edition (HKLM-x32\...\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim - Legendary Edition_is1) (Version:  - )
Visual Studio 2012 x64 Redistributables (HKLM\...\{8C775E70-A791-4DA8-BCC3-6AB7136F4484}) (Version: 14.0.0.1 - AVG Technologies)
Visual Studio 2012 x86 Redistributables (HKLM-x32\...\{98EFF19A-30AB-4E4B-B943-F06B1C63EBF8}) (Version: 14.0.0.1 - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
Wacom (HKLM\...\Pen Tablet Driver) (Version: 5.3.5-3 - Wacom Technology Corp.)
WebTablet FB Plugin 32 bit (HKLM-x32\...\Wacom WebTabletPlugin for Internet Explorer and Netscape) (Version: 2.1.0.7 - Wacom Technology Corp.)
WebTablet FB Plugin 64 bit (HKLM\...\Wacom WebTabletPlugin for Internet Explorer and Netscape) (Version: 2.1.0.7 - Wacom Technology Corp.)
WinCDEmu (HKLM-x32\...\WinCDEmu) (Version: 4.1 - Sysprogs)
Zoom (HKCU\...\ZoomUMX) (Version: 4.0 - Zoom Video Communications, Inc.)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 44%
Total physical RAM: 7374.36 MB
Available physical RAM: 4107.08 MB
Total Virtual: 8846.36 MB
Available Virtual: 4834.88 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (Main Disk) (Fixed) (Total:424.67 GB) (Free:279.68 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (Windows 8.1) (Fixed) (Total:32.36 GB) (Free:1.24 GB) NTFS
3 Drive e: (System Reserved) (Fixed) (Total:0.34 GB) (Free:0.07 GB) NTFS
5 Drive g: (ESD-ISO) (CDROM) (Total:3.29 GB) (Free:0 GB) UDF

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\xxxxxPC

Administrator            xxxxx                    Guest                    

**** End of log ****

Edited by accidentally, 08 February 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

The temperature shown for the CPU in the Speccy is 95C degrees.  This is high enough that it could damage the processor.  Because there is a 50C degree temperature differential from the graphics and hdd I would like you to download and run CPUID's HWMonitor to see what the temperatures are seen there.  Please make a screenshot of the temperatures and post the image in your topic.  I would suggest the you purchase a canned Duster (often mistakenly referred to as canned air) and blow out the inside of the case through the vents.  This should be done with the computer not running.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

If you are using this notebook on anything other than a hard flat surface this could contribute to the high CPU temperature.

I see that you have AVG installed, but you have it disabled.  I also see that you have Utorrent installed.  If you are downloading files with utorrent without an antivirus running you are begging to become infected.  Downloading peer to peer files is one of the fastest ways I know of to become infected.  It is a fact that a great deal of files offered online like this contain infected files which those posting these may not even be aware of what they are posting.  I would suggest that you activate your antivirus, update its definitions and run a scan with it.  Do this and let us know what you find.  If anything other than a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) you should have this topic moved to the Am I Infected forum where the proper tools can be used to do a thorough search for any malware.

I also see that you have disabled the Windows updates.  A good portion of these are security updates intended to help keep your operating system from getting infected.

#9 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

Hello D3,

Windows update is disabled because if I enable it, my computer will not be usable. That's the reason I made this topic.

AVG is not disabled, as far as I can tell. I just updated the virus definitions and did a scan and everything is fine. I don't know what makes you think it is not enabled.

The high temperatures are not accurate. Speccy has some issues working on my computer. 

And, just to note, If I'm trying to troubleshoot this myself, I probably know how to take a screenshot and post it in my reply.

Attached Files

Edited by accidentally, 10 February 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

I'm well aware that Speccy occasionally will throw error regarding temperatures.  This is why I suggested posting the CPUID's HWMonitor temperatures. 

The high temperatures are not accurate. Speccy has some issues working on my computer.

Evidently you didn't look at the screenshot you posted.  If you had you would have seen that the CPU temperature is at 99C degrees.

I haven't read enough of your posts to determine just what your particular skill set level, so I tend to provide information that anyone can follow.

You are correct regarding AVG, the Windows Defender is what was disabled.

You have left me with the impression that you don't think I'm going to be able to help you.  So I will back off and let someone else attempt to help you.  Good luck.

#11 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hi DC,

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way but when you just post instructions rather (eg. do this, do that), rather than questions, it seems like you aren't monitoring the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users