Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs on Startup, Fans Full Speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iAlex

iAlex

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

So I was finally coerced into buying Overwatch, which meant I had to upgrade my graphics card. I got an ATI Radeon HD 6450 card for cheap, plugged it in, and things were good to go. I did get a BSOD while installing the drivers, but it was too brief for me to read, and I encountered no further problems after the install completed.

The problems started when my internet went out. Netflix stopped, everything was slow, so I just rebooted the router. It took awhile, but things slo(ooooooooo)wly came back.

I rebooted my computer, and once I logged in, everything froze. I hadn't had anything freeze like that since I tried to install an old wifi adapter, so I rebooted again just to be sure. It's variable what happens from then on, but one of three things will happen:

1. Fans at full speed, only thing that comes up is a blinking white cursor

2. Freezes at the Dell startup with blinking yellow squares

3. Get to desktop, then freezes

I've tried removing the new card, and what usually happens is the frozen yellow square thing. I can't get it to boot into System Repair, and I've tried making a recovery USB, but it freezes when I try to load it. I'm worried I fried the poor thing.

Edit: It is an Optiplex 760 running Windows 7.

Edit 2: One of the times I got a lower pitched beep and this http://imgur.com/a/GHpRS. I got to System Restore, tried to restore. Once it was done, it rebooted and I had some scary looking graphics issues while on the Dell splash screen.

Edit 3: Removed all peripherals except monitor and USB keyboard/mouse. I can get to Startup Repair, but each time I do, I get a BSOD saying "win32k.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" 

Edit 4: Took out RAM and dusted it off and put graphics card back in. Was able to get into Startup Repair, but it failed. I was able to run System Restore, though. Once I ran it, the desktop froze and I had to reboot. I keep trying to download the driver for the graphics card, but the computer keeps randomly restarting. I booted it up again, and the blinking cursor screen turned orange. 

Edited by iAlex, 29 January 2017 - 06:14 PM.

Excuse me as I bang my head against the wall....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:23 AM

Which fans are at full speed.  It'd help to take a look inside the case (DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING WHEN IT'S PLUGGED IN!!!) and see which fans are to blame.

Things may have gotten knocked off when installing the new card.

Beyond that, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert assistance:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users