Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 derbio95

derbio95

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:29 AM

Sorry if this is a very simple fix.
Have moved my router from original position because of drop-off to my Sky service. I now receive a good connection to my tv and mobile units (phone and iPad) throughout my flat but my PC no longer gets an Internet connection at the original location of the router. Have tried the usual but for some reason I cant get a strong enough connection at that location for any unit using wifi so can't get the internet on iPad in that room. The PC doesn't support wifi so needs to be connected to router. Is the only simple fix an Ethernet cable from usable router to PC to be connected whenever I want to use PC and disconnected whenever I want to use tv.
derbio95

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

I too use Sky as my ISP and have a Sky router. It has four ethernet sockets on the back - as has every router i have owned - so you can plug your computer, your TV and two other devices in all at the same time. Bandwidth is a different matter. For video without buffering you need about 5Mbps so subtract that from your download rate and what is left over is available for your other devices. Not strictly true but near enough !

Whether or not you want all these cables running around your house is a different question and only you can answer that. Have you ever tried a wifi dongle on your computer ?  My desktop has never, in several incarnations, had an internal wifi card and a dongle works very well, but I do live in a fairly small and certainly compact house with the router in almost the exact centre.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 derbio95

derbio95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Chris Crosgrove
Will try that when I get longer cable. Will be able to hide cable so no problem there. Download speeds average out at around 14-15mbps so should be ok.
derbio95

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users