Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 2520 Running Slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AnkitSeth

AnkitSeth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

Hello,

I have a dell vostro 2520 laptop with following specifications:

1) Intel i3 2.2 GHz

2) 2 GB RAM

3) Windows 10

4) 64 bit processor

I understand that the specs aren't high end. However, I feel the laptop runs too slow for it's specs. It takes 10 seconds to open a normal window or to launch browser. I ran a scan for malware using malwarebytes but it came out clean. I would really appreciate any help on the same.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

The information I found for this computer states that it originally came with Windows 7, so I'm guessing that you upgraded to Windows 10?

You only have one 2GB RAM module installed.  That is not enough to get Windows 7 much less Windows 10 running decently.  This computer has two DIMM slots for RAM, I would suggest installing another 2GB module.  This by itself will make a appreciable increase in its speed.  This computer is capable of running in dual channel which effectively doubles the throughput speed of the RAM.  In order to make this work you will need to install a module which matches the module installed.  Please do the following, this will provide us with the make and model of the module installed.  I will find where you can purchase this module and provide you with a link to the website.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

@AnkitSeth

First off Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

You can upgrade your Dell Vostro 2520 Laptop to a maximum of 8GB. RAM.

Since your system is 64bit. architecture you can take full advantage of the 8GB. RAM Maximum.

The type of memory you are looking for is PC3-10600/12800 DDR3 204-Pin SODIMM.

It is recommended that RAM be replaced in pairs.

The link below leads you to Crucial.com where you can find memory Upgrade Kits for your Dell Vostro 2520.

In case you need instructions replacing the RAM in your system, The link to your system's Owners Manual in PDF format follows...

I hope this helps you resolve your Dell Vostro 2520 running slow issue!

Old Rocker

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

@ old rocker

Most of the members I've dealt with here over the last ten + years are operating on tight budgets.  For this reason I always look for the best bang for the buck.  In this case this would be to match the existing module to make 4GB which would be just fine for what can be done with a notebook.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 AnkitSeth

AnkitSeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

Hello @Arachibutyrophobia & @OldRocker

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

@Arachibutyrophobia: Yes, you are right. The laptop came with windows 7. I've upgraded the windows some time back. As suggested here are my system specs from speccy- http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oioB6CPYFlxcqUal2luCiO0

I do not know my PSU make and model. Is there a way to find that out?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

This computer is a notebook.  This means that there is no PSU (Power Supply Unit).  You have a power adapter which rectifies the AC line voltage to a DC voltage configured in the needed voltage for this computer.

I found one new module that is a match for the module you have installed, but they want $58.00 for it which is way out of line.  There are used modules available at eBay, but I don't like the idea of making a purchase for RAM from sellers like these.  Crucial is a company that I used a great deal since I've never received a bad module from then and their prices are competitive.  Going this route mean that you will be purchasing two modules.  Below is how this breaks down price wise.

Crucial  CT4420935  4GB (2 x 2Gb)  $35.99

Crucial  CT3551131  8GB (2 x 4GB)   $63.99

Shipping is free if you use the 5 - 9 business day shipping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users