Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CPI files on SD card from camera

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LizziBee

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

I just ran out of memory card space on my camera - there were only four short videos on the SD card at that point, so I was a little confused. Loaded it into the computer and uploaded those files, then went looking through the other folders on the SD card and found a whole folder full of CPI files. Quick google search has informed me what they are. It would seem that every video I've ever taken is being stored on the SD card and when I upload and clear the card, these files are staying there.

I just want to know if they are important and if I need to keep them or if it's OK to delete them, as they've obviously very nearly filled the space on my SD card! They also show up on my camera when viewing photos as a white screen with the message: "This motion image cannot be played" and I never figured what was going on with that until now, as it must still be reading the CPI files. So delete, yes or no, and do the videos that I've taken on my camera and since uploaded to the computer have the information that is in the CPI files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,073 posts
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

If the the earlier videos that you have uploaded to your computer are playing perfectly well on the computer without the memory card being connected then you don't need them and they can be safely deleted.

Just out of curiosity as you know video files tend to be fairly large, several MB up. What size are these CPI files ?  Having also done a quick google these appear to be a sort of log file of each video - date, time, duaration, etc..

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 29 January 2017 - 06:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users