Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No post, I am almost in tears :*(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 banthisversion

banthisversion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Parts list -

GeForce GTX 1060,  Z170a pc mate pro series, Intel I5 7600k lga 1151, EVGA bronze 500w power supply, corsair 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz

Issues -

When i turn the machine on, i get a red light on CPU (ez debug LED) for maybe half a second, then it goes to DRAM and stays red for about 5 seconds. The light then turns off but the fans and lights on the machine continue to work.

What I've done so far

I have replaced the motherboard (with the same one), i also replaced the RAM with corsair since originally i had kingston and was getting the same issue. I have no hard drive connected because i wanted to rule out any type of connectivity issue. I have tried RAM in slot 1-3, 2-4 (recommended), slot 1, slot 2, slot 3, slot 4. I am getting the exact same issue as i did with previous RAM i had.

Please help... the only thing i haven't tried is returning the CPU, but i REALLY dont believe i have a bad CPU.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

So take your box somewhere that they have a backup cpu to test your system with.

As well did you overclock on that system and if so what is your heat sink ?

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

Motherboard CPU socket pins are OK?

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

There is an MSI PC Mate Z270, and an MSI Z270-A Pro, They are different motherboards. May we see a picture of your system?

Edited by Zone_86, 29 January 2017 - 06:26 AM.

#5 banthisversion

banthisversion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Z170 boards need a bios flash to work on kabylake chips, unfortunately the manufacture did not updater their bios when thes decided to put these boards on the market. im going to replace my z170 board for a z270, this should resolve my problem.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Indeed it takes the mobo manufactures a bit to release a new bios update for a new CPU series, and you need a compliant CPU just to get your system up and running so yes a Z270 would be needed or you can simply get a 6600k to use with the Z170. I think you are making the right choice though with replacing the Z170 with a Z270.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users