Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't login and need to boot into BIOS (and a lot of other things...)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dr_Alphabet

Dr_Alphabet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Ok, so this is my first real post here so please be kind. There are a lot of questions I need answers to, but didn't know where they would all best fit, so this seemed the most appropriate to start. 

Anyway, let me lay out the whole story here. My girlfriends work computer is totally bleeped up. I mean, like, the only solution is a fresh install (there is just way to much to troubleshoot...). I plan on doing this for her when I have some free time at some undisclosed point in the future, but I need to first do some backup and imaging magic because, well, it's her work computer and there are a lot of things that need to be there when she logs in for the first time, which is another thing that I just don't really want to bleep with on my free time. However, this is not the problem. I know how to to backup and restore a computer. I mean it may be a problem in the future when I misconfigure some dumb software program her company relies on, but it's not my problem right now so, yea, whatever.

The real problem is the computer that she was given to use in the mean time. Her boss gave her her old computer. It's an HP 15 using an AMD A8 processor. I can't get more information about it because I am unable to login. Her boss did not giver her the password or really any information about it all. This is the beginning of my problem....

My plan was to boot into linux (puppy/slacko 6.3.2) and change the sticky keys .exe to instead bring up command prompt and just change the user password that way. And yes, I'm just a stupid idiot who found a tutorial online to help me execute this plan as I'm not smart/cool enough to figure out how to do this on my own.  I downloaded the iso, burned it do a disk, confirmed I was able to boot into puppy on my personal machine (windows 7 x64), and then tried booting into it on my girlfriends bosses computer. The problem was that after going through the process of loading all the files and everything, I get stuck at "loading kernels modules...^@." I've found very little about this specific problem. I figured it would be something I could fix in the BIOS but now I can't boot into it. Like I said, I can't get past the login screen so there's nothing I can do there so my only options are A) hold shift and restart which didn't work (brought me straight back to the login screen) B) because it's an HP, I looked up hotkeys for booting into BIOS and it says hold Win+B and spam F2 which also didn't work (again, right to login screen) 3) Just spam F2 which brought me to a some sort of UEFI screen but I wasn't able to actually do much in it. It was mostly diagnostic type bleep. 

My goal is to boot into puppy. If I can get into the BIOS, I think I may be able to figure out what's preventing me from doing so. Like I said, I can boot into it from my Windows 7 machine no problem. If there is anyone out there with how to get into the BIOS menu or how to just straight fix the eternal loading kernel module issue I'm facing in puppy, please let me know.

Please excuse me if i'm not being as thorough as you're used to or if i'm leaving out information that may help you help me. I'm a little, uhm, wha'ts a polite way to say bleeped up at the moment. I've been trying to get this work arounded for a couple hours now and it's driving me insane. There's nothing wrong with the linux live disk. It's only the windows 10 computer and the only thing I have to work with is the login screen. Help. 

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

Dr_Alphabet,

Take a look at this post I made quite a while back:  UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop.  Mine happens to be an HP 15-g035wm, which has an AMD-A8 APU.

Booting into UEFI is accomplished by hitting ESC about once per second as the machine powers up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Dr_Alphabet

Dr_Alphabet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

Getting this taken care of isn't my top priority because she A) has a computer that works and B I have my own actual work that I attend to so I will read that article you recommended and let you know how things turn out. Thanks for the reply. 

Edited by Dr_Alphabet, 29 January 2017 - 07:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users