Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet On Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

Working with a DELL Inspiron 1000 laptop, w/ XP Home SP1. When it came to me it could not connect to the internet.

I have used Killdisk and then reinstalled OS. I have done nothing else in terms of installing software.

I cannot get an internet connection. I am using a wired router. The laptop thinks it is connected, and it shows outgoing but no incoming.

I have tried plugging the cable into different ports in the router, I have tried different cables, I have hand held the cable in different positions in the back of the laptop.

I have tried 'repairing' the connection, but I get an error message that it can't renew the IP address.

I have power cycled the modem, router, and computer.

I have changed settings on the connection so that it no longer says 'firewalled'.

I have tried installing a newer driver from the Dell website.

Other computers connected to the router get the internet just fine.

The only thing I can think of is a motherboard issue, as the ethernet connection is integrated. Any other ideas out there?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

I think you need to download Broadcom or PRO100 VE drivers from Dell site. I have Latitude and I had simmilar problem with it..
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

Hello, Albert Frankenstein:

Are you getting an IP address? What is the Link Speed and Duplex setting configured for under your NIC properties. You may have to force it at a particular setting. If I have problems with a NIC, I always try 10Mb at half duplex. I am not sure if the Dell Diagnostics have a network card test, but you could check to see if it does by pressing F12 as soon as you see the Dell logo at startup.

It is a little strange that it didn't work before you wiped the disk, and it still doesn't work....

Hope that helps.
JC

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

ISSUE SOLVED!

Thanks so much for your replies. It helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

Here is what happened. After installing Windows the Network Adapter showed up in the Device Manager as working correctly. Everything looked normal. This is using the driver that came with Windows XP. Well, to be sure I had the latest driver I went to support.dell.com and entered the Service Tag number of this laptop and then downloaded the LAN driver and after burning it to a disk, installing it on the laptop. HERE WAS MY MISTAKE: I had entered the wrong Service Tag number, therefore I had the wrong driver. The service tag number contained a Z that looked like a 2 to me.

So, after entering the correct service tag number I was able to download an updated driver that worked perfectly the first time!

Thanks again!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

Don't feel bad, I have done the same thing...

Glad you resolved the issue.

:thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users