Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint updater - MIA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

ASUS A88x mobo, AMD CPU, Mint 18, 12GB RAM

It struck me as odd that the updater icon had disappeared off the task bar and that I hadn't had any updates since New Year. I found the updater in the menu and ran it but it did nothing after entering my password.

OK, uninstall/re-boot/re-install - easy. No !  "The package 'mintupdate' could not be installed" with the additional information -

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/AptClient/AptClient.py", line 74, in _run
    cache.commit(acquire_progress_monitor, install_progress_monitor)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 512, in commit
    res = self._fetch_archives(fetcher, pm)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 346, in _fetch_archives
    return self._run_fetcher(fetcher)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 325, in _run_fetcher
    raise FetchFailedException(err_msg)
FetchFailedException: Failed to fetch http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/packages.linuxmint.com/packages/pool/main/m/mintupdate/mintupdate_5.1.0.3_all.deb 404  Not Found [IP: 2001:630:341:12::184 80]

Where do I go from here ?  It would be nice to have the updates which are almost certainly waiting out there for me.

Chris Cosgrove

I just clicked the link in the quote above and it took me to a 404 'Page not found' at the University of Kent. Seems they are not hosting mint any more. How do I point my software manager at a different mirror ?

CC

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 28 January 2017 - 06:12 PM.
Additional info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Open Terminal

sudo apt-get update

password

Result ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the info but I found how to point the software manager at a different mirror. Updates are being installed as I write.

And I have been known to suggest to people that they should think or have a look before they rush into print !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

:thumbup2:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:11 PM

goodonyer Chris, good outcome :guitar:

When pointing to a different mirror, did you actually run the test Mint provides to establish the fastest server and select it?

Not sure with Britain, but in Oz there can be considerable differences in d/l speed from mirror to mirror.

avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW with Mint, you can run the test on both the Ubuntu-based and pure Mint mirrors, and you may end up having two different mirrors, I do that all the time, and whenever there are updates of, arbitrarily, 100 MB or more indicated, check the latest readings before I download.

Edited added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 28 January 2017 - 11:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users