Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moved a ton of Outlook folders and now emails are disappearing.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Goal:  Increase organization of emails in Outlook 2010.

1.  I had four main email accounts.  Three charter.net emails and one email from my own domain that I forward into Outlook.

2. All four emails have a ton of folders n them because that is how I keep people and topics organized.

3.  A couple of months ago I deleted one of the charter emails because it was getting spammed to death.  Updated everybody legitimately sending to that account to another one.  Everything was fine.

4.  Though the email account was deleted, I still had access to all of the folders and sub-folders for when I needed to reference stuff.  Everything was fine  (Just didn't send or receive emails anymore.)

5.  I will be moving soon, possibly out of Charter monopoly area, so beginning process of better organizing emails, and thinking about then probably creating new email accounts on my own domain going forward.

6.  Yesterday I moved a TON of folders, better organizing the people and topics in each of the three main email accounts.  That meant moving entire folders from one account into another account - a whole lot of times.

7.  Everything seemed fine.  Today it appears that when I want to get into a charter folder, every (?) folder is 'synchronizing' - and then every email in the folder is disappearing right in front of me.  Synchronizing seems to take from a few seconds to a couple of minutes; seems to depend on how many emails are in the folder.  This seems to be happening only to the two charter.net email accounts - and not the email of my own domain - without regard to what email account the folders or emails started out in yesterday.  I have not had any emails 'delete' from that account.

8.  How do I fix the two charter email accounts that are deleting every email in every folder that I open?  How do I get those emails to to reappear in those now empty folders.

I'd surely appreciate help with this.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:47 AM

First, a general question...do you have a backup? Specifically, do you have a back up of the PST file(s) for your Outlook accounts? If so, then theoretically you can copy over a backup of the PST file(s), mount them in Outlook, and then "recover" any files you need.

As to what is happening, what type of email accounts are the Charter accounts? IMAP or POP3? And "where" are the folders located that your are copying the email/folder to? I put "where" in quotes because I mean are they local (aka POP3) folder or a synced folder (aka IMAP)? The corollary question is...are any of your email accounts (including your account through your own domain) an IMAP account? A lot of questions in this paragraph are related to how Outlook creates and uses PST files for the different email accounts (unless things have changed...been a while since I used Outlook). Traditionally, all local folders and POP3 folders are stored in one PST file, unless you create an additional ones yourself and mount them. And each IMAP email account will have its own PST file. If you move an email (or folder) from a local folder or POP3 folder to another local folder or POP3 folder, then it is just a pure "move" command that is occurring within a single PST file typically. If you move a local folder or POP3 folder to a synced/IMAP folder, then it is kind of more of a copy then delete from the original location (which is very similar to a move, but technically different) that involved two PST files...and then you will have the syncing with the IMAP server (i.e. uploading of the email copied/moved into the IMAP folder). Going from one IMAP account to another is very similar to the previous case except you also then have a sync on the old account as the moved/copied & deleted emails are removed from the IMAP server. There last two processes can take a while in my experience and can be slightly flaky at times. So, it could be this. Sometimes, the flakiness, in my experience, is temporary as the upload process completes (generally your upload speed is significantly slower than your download speed, so if you moved a LOT of emails/folder that comprise of a lot of storage space, then the uploading might take a while), so if you just did this, you might give it some time and see if things improve. Other times, the flakiness can result in a permanent issue. If so, then you might be stuck unless you have a backup.

The other possibility that I can think of is that your PST file(s) are getting corrupted. Traditionally, PST files with huge numbers of email message can get corrupted and unreliable. I believe that Microsoft has improved this with new version of Outlook. You could consider trying to repair your PST file(s). See the following link for instructions:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

The last thing to try that I can think of is if the email accounts are IMAP, then go to the email account's web interface, log in, and see if the email show up on the server.

That is all that I can think of for the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users