Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Password Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Patriot Pete

Patriot Pete

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

Out of the blue my Toshiba Satellite C55t-C5300 laptop is asking for a password. I never set one and Toshiba support has been useless. I have had the laptop into Toshiba two times under warranty for hard drive issues. I am guessing they did something but the say they can do nothing for me. I have gotten a new Lenovo laptop but I need to get some of the files off of the Toshiba. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

If this is a BIOS password and not a HDD password then you can pull the drive and attach it to the new computer using a USB adapter or enclosure. If this is a HDD password then you are pretty much out of luck. Even if pulled from the computer and attached to another computer a format would not be possible.

#3 Patriot Pete

Patriot Pete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

It says "Enter HDD/SDD password" I try three times and it shuts down. I saw a video online where a individualpull the hard drive from the computer and then put a boot up CD in the laptop and when it started downloading files, he put the hard drive back in and pop out the cd and it finished booting with the hard drive and it showed he had his sign on screen back. Does that sound plauseable?

Problem I would have as stated above, I did not create a boot cd.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

I have seen this video before, I forgot about it. I think this would be your only option. If it does not work you will not be able to recover the data as the data is encrypted in the firmware of the drive.

You can use this tool for your obtaining a Windows .installation disk of your version.

Your problem may be if the laptop is a more modern one where you need to remove the whole back of the computer or do a large teardown to access the drive.

I have heard of this happening on Toshiba's, where one day you get this hdd password for no reason. Good Luck.

#5 Patriot Pete

Patriot Pete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

I do have to remove the entire back of the laptop. Will this impact the ability to boot with the cd drive?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

It may. I can't say for sure. If the optical drive does not work you can create a bootable USB flash drive that may boot with the back off. User Rufus and the install iso.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Make sure your USB is the first boot device in your UEFI/BIOS settings and test it before removing the back of the computer.

#7 Patriot Pete

Patriot Pete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

Thanks! I will give it a go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users