Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prefetch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

hello,

i know that cleaning up prefetch help to boost a computers performance... i just want to ask what is the best thing to do, clean the prefetch folder or completely disable prefetch? tnx....

anyone?

semp

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

If you are trying to improve performance, then don't disable prefetch. It's very purpose is to improve performance.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:49 AM

first of all tnx for the fast reply.

what should i do, delete the contents of prefetch folder or change settings? (1,2 or 3?), my current setting is 3... or just do nothing?

Edited by sempai, 31 August 2006 - 09:52 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

Prefetch is a very useful technique in Windows XP.
However, after using XP some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used, or obsolete links, which can slow down your computer noticeably.

Open C: / windows / prefetch
Delete all files (or at least those more than 3 weeks old), reboot.
It's recommended that you do this every month.

Deleting prefetch files too often (every reboot), can decrease system performance!
Once fresh, it will normally take 3 bootups before Windows collects enough information for the applications that you run.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

hi tg1911......

thanks for the wonderfull info... it really helps. :thumbsup:

semp

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

You're welcome, sempai.
Glad I could be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

Your other question...I would assume that you were talking about one of the registry settings for Prefetch?(1, 2, 3) Leave it at the default of 3, unless you really like to play around with your computer. I always found that there are negatives for any tweak that you try. As you can tell, I not much of a risk taker... :thumbsup:
JC

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

A prefetch file essentially tells the computer: here's all the files you need to open this program; thus, the computer doesn't have to hunt all over the disk to get its grocery list so to speak and it can deliver your program much faster.

Here is a quote with more information about prefetch files and what the numbers in the registry setting mean.
-----------------

# knightcrawler Says:

July 20th, 2005 at 1:35 pm

You can delete it if you made big changes otherwise the layout.ini will have a lot of old data.

1. Delete all the files in the folder

2. Turn on the Task Schedule service to automatic and start it if it isnít already.

3. Open a cmd window and type or paste this:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

4. The folder will be rebuilt with the current apps and drivers.

Also:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters

dword value = EnablePrefetcher

0 = Disable,
1 = App launch prefetch
2 = Boot Prefetch
3 = Both (recommended)

My recommendation for the prefetcher is based on the amount of RAM that you have:

128MB - Disabled (reg value 0)
256MB - Boot only (reg value 1) {EDIT I think he meant 2 here judging by the definitions above. Orange Blossom}
512MB or more - Both (reg value 3)

found on this page: http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html
---------------------
Incidentally, I have 256 RAM, and I have my prefetch set to 3.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 August 2006 - 02:35 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

hi orange and josh.... thank you so much.

semp

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#10 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

I don't think touching the prefetch is going to make a difference but often the old entries pile up and can confuss the comp with silly start up problems, so once in a while I just:

press: winkey + r
type: perfetch
press: enter
press: ctrl + a
press: shift + delete
press: enter
everyday is a gift

#11 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

thanks for the additional info.... :thumbsup:

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:54 PM

hello,

i know that cleaning up prefetch help to boost a computers performance... i just want to ask what is the best thing to do, clean the prefetch folder or completely disable prefetch? tnx....

anyone?

semp

Actually, cleaning prefetch files degrades your computer's performance.
Windows will clean them automatically when they reach 128 files.

Cleaning the Prefetch folder as beneficial is based in a Myth and doing so actually degrades performance. Windows by default cleans this folder at 128 entries.
Anyone who claims this should be cleaned for ANY reason does not understand Windows Prefetching, how Windows Prefetching works, and actually defeats XP's ability to function as fast as possible.)

#13 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:48 AM

thanks.... :thumbsup:

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users