Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Linux

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 johngod

johngod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Hi Guys,

My name is John god, and I'm new to Linux.

I was on the xp site in HP Recovery-Windows XP Media

and JohnC_21 helped me an awful lot very thankful for all his help.

I have a HP desktop which didn't have an operating system. 

I had a recovery disk that I ran 2 times, but wasn't working.

He had me download Linux Cinnamon 64-Bit.

Which seems good, but I do have a few questions.

Here Goes;

I do not need to install  Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware?

What should I install if anything?

Edited by johngod, 28 January 2017 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Welcome to Linux(*Nix)  you will enjoy Linux Mint. 

and for the most part, no you do not need antivirus/malware/spyware. but DO however turn your firewall on. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,737 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

@johngod, did you actually install Linux Cinnamon 64-Bit yet?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 johngod

johngod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

Where is the firewall?

Yes I did install it?

Edited by johngod, 28 January 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,737 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Can't remember the pathway to the GUI, but you can click on the Menu and type in ufw, or Firewall, and activate it that way with one of the Switches?  Or, you can type in Terminal after clicking on Menu and Activate it with the Terminal, which is how the geeks like to do it.  Here is a little tutorial on how to do it

To Activate Uncomplicated Firewall; Copy Paste into Terminal:  "sudo ufw enable" from the Code Box below,  Then Password, and hit “Enter”.  Note: You will not see Password – that is for security.  Right after you will see that it says the Firewall will startup with every boot.
sudo ufw enable

Optional: To check status - Copy Paste in Terminal:  sudo ufw status verbose   Then password and hit “Enter”

sudo ufw status verbose

Status should look like this:

youruser@yourcomputer:~$ sudo ufw status verbose
[sudo] password for youruser:
Logging: on (low)
Default: deny (incoming), allow (outgoing)
New profiles: skip
youruser@yourcomputer:~$

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Okay, maybe you should tell us what you WANT to do on the machine, that would be much easier for all of us. 

Firewall is under the Menu>Preferences>Firewall Configuration. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#7 johngod

johngod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Normal everyday things. Facebook, surf the web, keep files and folders,etc.

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

If firefox is your browser I would recommend uBlock Origin it can be found in add-ons section of firefox.

I would also recommend firejail sandbox.

https://firejail.wordpress.com/

download firejail

https://sourceforge.net/projects/firejail/files/firejail/

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 johngod

johngod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Right now I'm using Google Chrome.

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

I do not need to install  Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, Anti-Spyware?

Most GNU/Linux users do not run any kind of anti-malware (anti-virus), but only you can decide if you need to. The majority of malware is written for Windows operating systems, and therefore does not affect a GNU/Linux operating system like Linux Mint. Most of the time, if a GNU/Linux user is running an anti-malware, it's not to protect the system, but to avoid harboring infected files. That being said, there is some serious Linux malware out there. If you need protection, ClamAV is a free antivirus available in the default repositories. Though ClamAV does have a bit of a reputation for giving false positives. There are also a few paid products available, like ESET NODE32 Antivirus For Linux.

Install ClamAV:
1. In terminal type:
sudo apt-get update
2. In terminal type:
sudo apt-get install clamav
Update ClamAV Defintions:
1. In terminal type:
sudo freshclam
Scan A Directory With ClamAV:
1. In terminal type:
clamscan -a -r --cross-fs=yes --remove=no -i "/directory"
Substitute "/directory" for the directory to scan. This doesn't remove infected files, but if you change "--remove=no" to "--remove=yes" it will. I wouldn't suggest doing so though, as this would also remove false positives.

If you don't like using the commandline, there is a graphical front-end called ClamTK available for ClamAV, but personally I find it buggy, which is why I didn't suggest it above.

What should I install if anything?

As others have stated, I would suggest you enable your firewall. Linux Mint comes equipped with GUFW (graphical front-end for UFW) + UWF (firewall application), but by default it is not running.

Enable Firewall:

76VHHEa.gif

1. Got to: Menu / Preferences / Firewall Configuration.
2. Enter your user account password, when prompted.
3. Flick "Status" to "on".

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

If firefox is your browser I would recommend uBlock Origin it can be found in add-ons section of firefox.

I would also recommend firejail sandbox.

https://firejail.wordpress.com/

download firejail

https://sourceforge.net/projects/firejail/files/firejail/

Right now I'm using Google Chrome.

Hi, johngod. And 'Welcome' to the gang!

Re; Firefox, Chrome, and uBlock Origin. You can run uBlock Origin on Chrome, too. I use it myself. It does pretty much the same thing as AdBlock Plus.....but with a much lighter footprint.

You can get it here:-

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Thoroughly recommended. FireJail, I don't know anything about; you'll need to trawl the Chrome AppStore to see if you can find it (if you want it, that is.)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 January 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

Just to give you some perspective ......re having anti virus etc etc etc....

I have been running linux mint 18 for sometime now, without clam av....and have had no indications of any dramas.

That being said, hollowface makes a good point when he says ""if a GNU/Linux user is running an anti-malware, it's not to protect the system, but to avoid harboring infected files

I am assuming that the eventual outcome of harboring these infected files is that they may be passed on to someone elses system and infect them...or maybe your pc becomes some type of "bot" or in other words a 'storage' spot for these infections.

I do not know enough about the prevalence of malware in the linux community to make any definitive statement.

However....I would think that if there was a growing prevalence of malware being passed around by the linux community, the many AV companies would be only too willing to put their product into the Linux areas in the interest of making more money.

It is certainly a topic to keep ones eye on......but for the time being I will stick with Firefox, ublock origin, ....and I also use the "https everywhere" add on in Firefox. This would most likely be available in Chrome as well.

Firejail Sandbox....will most likely frighten the hell out of you to install......very different to Windows.  Just ask if you need a hand.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Firejail

On THIS PAGE   

.....there is lots and lots of reading....

the important bit is (IMO) the fact that once it is installed the default settings are pretty much all you need.

SO....

Download here...    http://sourceforge.net/projects/firejail/files/firejail/

....that will put a .deb file in your download folder of desktop, wherever you download to......then, double click on the .deb file and then click on "Install package".......sit back and wait for everything to stop moving. Eventually you will see the  "reinstall package" and "remove package" signs ......when you see them...it is installed

The things you use your pc for seem to fairly basic to me......browsing, facebook, looking around the web...news...searching, etc etc

SO......Quote...""" You don't need to add parameters for your program to already benefit from additional security."""

SO just do your thing. Dont allow Linux to become your nightmare. Keep life simple and enjoy the fact that this OS just works.

I understand you have installed linux.....one other important thing is Updates

No need to be wary of updates.....just install everything.

They install automatically....have a good read and learn where the update icon appears..(down near the clock...little blue dot)....and just let it do its thing.

If you were to click on 'menu'....then type in update manager....click on update manager.......then click on 'edit'....'update policy'........I would select "dont break my computer"

Have a look around while you are there.

Sometime down the track you may install "aptik"....it provides ""restore points"" to go back to in case you screw something up. ((It is handy to have an external hard drive to save these to.....so they dont take up space on your normal hard drive))

Ubuntu Linux
Ubuntu Linux has become one of the most popular of all the Linux distributions. And through the process of updating a system, you should be able to tell exactly why this is the case. Ubuntu is very user friendly. Ubuntu uses two different tools for system update:
  • apt-get: Command line tool.
  • Update Manager: GUI tool.
ubuntu_update_manager.pngThe Update Manger is a nearly 100% automatic tool. With this tool you will not have to routinely check to see if there are updates available. Instead you will know updates are available because the Update Manager will open on your desktop (see Figure 1) as soon as the updates depending upon their type:
  • Security updates: Daily
  • Non-security updates: Weekly

If you want to manually check for updates, you can do this by clicking the Administration sub-menu of the System menu and then selecting the Update Manager entry. When the Update Manager opens click the Check button to see if there are updates available.

Figure 1 shows a listing of updates for a Ubuntu 9.10 installation. As you can see there are both Important Security Updates as well as Recommended Update. If you want to get information about a particular update you can select the update and then click on the Description of update dropdown.

In order to update the packages follow these steps:
  1. Check the updates you want to install. By default all updates are selected.
  2. Click the Install Updates button.
  3. Enter your user (sudo) password.
  4. Click OK.

The updates will proceed and you can continue on with  your work. Now some updates may require either you to log out of your desktop and log back in, or to reboot the machine. There are is a new tool in development (Ksplice)  that allow even the update of a kernel to not require a reboot.
Once all of the updates are complete the Update Manage main window will return reporting that Your system is up to date.

apt_get_upgrade.pngNow let's take a look at the command line tools for updating your system. The Ubuntu package management system is called apt. Apt is a very powerful tool that can completely manage your systems packages via command line. Using the command line tool has one drawback - in order to check to see if you have updates, you have to run it manually. Let's take a look at how to update your system with the help of Apt. Follow these steps:

1. Open up a terminal window.
  2. Issue the command sudo apt-get upgrade.
  3. Enter your user's password.
  4. Look over the list of available updates (see Figure 2) and decide if you want to go through with the entire upgrade.
  5. To accept all updates click the 'y' key (no quotes) and hit Enter.
  6. Watch as the update happens.

I do hope i haven't confused you....that is not my intention. If i have, just post back and we will sort it out.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

Firejail Sandbox....will most likely frighten the hell out of you to install......very different to Windows.  Just ask if you need a hand.

Firejail Sandbox, I just downloaded the deb file to my downloads folder and opened it up and away it went without any problems.

Download the latestest version form Sourceforge link in my earlier post.

I then went to my firefox browser icon on my panel and right clicked it to open it up and then opened the edit icon and where it said "firefox %u" just added firejail in front of that to where it then said "firejail firefox %u" and saved it.

I then closed everything and when I open my browser firefox is running in firejailsandbox.

You can run the terminal command "firejail  --tree" to check and make sure your browser is running in firejail sandbox.

Here is a step by step guide that will show you what to do for firefox and google chrome.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sandbox

It wasn't scary at all very easy to do.

Edited by The-Toolman, 28 January 2017 - 08:25 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

My meaning was.....when a NEW USER is confronted with

o01f60.jpg

......he/she will probably have no clue what to do with it/where to start.

Please remember....most of the "new to Linux" people think we are talking a foreign language.

(And for the most part we are !!!..... :hysterical: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users