Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: I need a new computer for college and for watching TV shows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

I am purchasing a new computer and need some help! I need a computer mostly for college. However, I also plug in an HDMI cable and connect it to my TV to watch TV shows using Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop

My budget for the new computer is: I don’t want to spend more than $500, but the cheaper the better!

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? I use the computer for school. So I use it for e-mail and web browsing mostly. I also use it for Netflix and Amazon Prime to watch TV shows, and sometimes use YouTube. Right now on my computer I plug in an HDMI cable so I can connect it to my TV. However, it seems to always keep pausing. I have a fast internet connection so the only thing I think it could be is the computer. I definitely needed an upgrade before I started using it for Nextflix and Amazon Prime.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? I use Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) I use adobe. I have the Netflix app on my computer. I use Adobe. That is pretty much all I use on my computer. Other than browsing and going to the Amazon website to use Amazon Prime. I haven’t found an Amazon Prime App for the computer.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I use Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe, and browse the web at the same time a lot when I am doing homework.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No music. A few pictures.

Will you be overclocking? I am pretty sure I won't be. I had no idea what this meant, but I looked it up. It said it "refers to pushing your computer components harder and faster than the manufacturer designed them to go. The initial pitch is seductive: Buy a slower, lower-cost CPU; juice up the clock speed." This is an attempt to achieve a high end processor at a cheap price. I assume that means you have to do something to the computer to do that, which I would have no idea how to do!

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I am not sure what this question is asking. I will probably go into the store to buy it. I am not particular about a store.

How many monitors are you planning to use? Just the laptop, and then to connect it to my TV.

Do you need peripherals? OS? Not sure what peripherals means? I am not picky about the OS. I have always used Windows computers but wouldn’t be opposed to something else.  

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
I’ve had my computer for a while. It has been lagging and acting up. When I am typing, it will like freeze up, and then when it unfreezes it will continue with whatever I typed. If I try to go to scroll down on a webpage, it won't let me click to scroll down. I have to wait to be able to do it. It just keeps lagging in everything I try to do. When I try to watch TV shows on Amazon Prime or Netflix it keeps lagging. I have a fast internet so it can't be an issue with that. It has all gotten pretty annoying. I have tried cleaning it up and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it. I think it’s just been used up. Also, it is heavy and so I never want to take it to school if I need it. That isn’t really a big deal because it isn’t often that I choose to take it to school with me, but there have been a few instances where I needed to and it was a pain because it was pretty heavy.

I don't know a lot about computers. I know how to work the things I use on it very well (i.e., Microsoft Office), but other than that I don't know much. I don't really know any "technical terms" regarding computers. So I need a lot of help! I am not picky. I just want the cheapest option that will work the best for what I need it for. I tried to do some research on my own but everyone had different opinions and used a lot of technical terms I wasn't familiar with and the task seemed too daunting! I thought of you guys because you have helped me clean a virus from my computer and have helped with other questions I have had.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!! It is greatly appreciated!!! :love4u:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Dell Latitude 14 5000 Series (E5450) $449 after using coupon GMSAVE50 in cart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users