Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pixelation then Restart and pixelation doesnt go away

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Terk1023

Terk1023

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

Hi, so I was gaming earlier and randomly my computer screen turned into a bunch of colour blocks and had white lines all over it and a blue screen popped up with a sad face and said Windows was gathering crash data before restarting. When it restarted everything was really big as if it was in safe mode but not cause I still had all my start up apps launch and had my wallpaper and it doesn't say anything about safe mode. There are still white lines all over the monitor that move around when stuff moves on my screen (moving my cursor or application windows). I have never had any major issues before with my computer so I'm not to sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I attached photos of what it looks like from turning the power on to being logged in.

Attached Files

Edited by Terk1023, 28 January 2017 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

Greetings,

Since the lines are appearing on the BIOS splash screen, I'm pretty sure this is a hardware related issue. Try using another monitor... do the white lines still appear? Next, please run these hardware diagnostics, starting with the video card tests. (I suspect the video card is faulty.) Also, please follow the instructions here to upload the dump files for analysis.

Thanks.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Terk1023

Terk1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hi bwv848! Thanks for giving me some suggestions, i don't have access to another monitor but will try the other options! Im a bit lost on the page where the video diagnostic tests are but I have ran the Sysnative app!

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.01MB   2 downloads

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:17 AM

I agree with bwv848 - this is most likely a hardware problem with your video.

What sort of problems are you having with running the video tests?

The video card is disabled in Device Manager - so the tests may not even see it.

Please see my comments about the disabled card later in this post.

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports.

The WER section of the MSINFO32 report shows a USB BSOD and a video BSOD

Can't draw many conclusions from that - but the video tests are the most critical thing at this point.

If unable to run the video tests, then trying another video card is a good test.
If you don't have a spare video card, you may want to purchase one from a shop that will let you return it if it's not needed (for your money back).

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 1011) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

F: drive only has about 2% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.
As it's a USB drive, removing it from the system will stop any issues from occurring while it's unplugged.

This device is disabled in Device Manager:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1201&SUBSYS_83B51043&REV_A1\4&80E7924&0&0008    This device is disabled.

This is your video card - and disabling it will generate the video issues that you've described.

The problem here is why it got disabled.  If it's a hardware problem, there's a chance it won't boot up if you re-enable it.
As such, I'd strongly suggest backing up your stuff immediately, and seeing if you can get your hands on a spare video card to test with.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Terk1023

Terk1023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hi usasma,

Thanks for the suggestions!

The issues I'm having with the video tests is as you said, they are all testing on the Microsoft Basic Display Driver since my video card is disabled. When i try to enable it I get a black screen for a minute or so then when it comes back nothing has changed and its disabled again.

I tried to run Furmark but got a compatibility error and it didnt run.
Attached File  20170131_110054_HDR.jpg   105.34KB   0 downloads

Then I tried to run a Video Memory stress Test and it worked fine I think (will post log file) but it ran on the Basic Display Driver so I dont think it tested the right thing.
Attached File  vmt.log   421bytes   1 downloads

I'll try and pick up a new video card within the next couple days, any suggestions for any specific card?

In terms of updating my BIOS I have no experience doing so and from what I've seen for my motherboard manufacturer (ASUSTeK) it seems like a daunting task and I don't want to mess anything up more than it already is.

I checked for Windows updates and it says I am up to date, I checked the Microsoft website and downloaded the latest update available. I dont know if this is relevant or not but after the update it seems the resolution is even lower.

Also, my F: Drive is a 2tb external hard drive with nothing but back up data on it, I cant seem to delete any of the back up data tho, when I do it just sits there estimating for hours (I've tried to clear up space on it before) and didnt end up deleting anything.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by Terk1023, 31 January 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

Well, if you can't force the tests onto the video card, then it's time to try another video card.

If you don't have one that you can use, I suggest purchasing one from a shop that will let you return it (for your money back) if it's not needed.

Try the external drive on another system.  Malfunctioning hardware (no matter what is broken), can cause system wide problems like you describe.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users