Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Shut Down when power cable moved.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IPLondon

IPLondon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

This Lenovo G50 laptop took a fall and since then if the power cable is moved even slightly the laptop just shuts down. I opened the laptop to have a look inside and could narrow it down to the DC-IN cable connector, which seems to wiggle and then leads to a power loss situation. I tried a new DC cable but the problem is still there.

I suspect that the ground connectors somehow loose their contact when the connector wiggles. Could this lead to sudden loss of power? How to fix this? (solder, glue etc)

Video of the problem

fycok4.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by IPLondon, 28 January 2017 - 11:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

I tried a new DC cable

I am not sure what you mean, which cable? Power cable, switch cable, etc.? 

However.....you need a new power plug. It probably comes as a unit with the cable. Unfortunately, from the video it appears that it is enclosed in a metal casing which probably (?) cannot be opened for servicing. If this were attached to an open, exposed circuit board, you might be able to repair the cracked connector with a dab of solder, I have done that many times. Check it out, it is hard to see from the  video. It appears that it simply plugs in to the power supply at the other end, so this is a simple replace and plug-in job.

Anyway, this is a common problem with laptops, and I have replaced several of these things. Try Amazon or Newegg, just search the make & model of your lap with the words, power cable connector, or something similar. Usually these are available, including generics at a lower cost. Not a difficult nor expensive fix.

Edited by ranchhand_, 29 January 2017 - 10:36 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 IPLondon

IPLondon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

I tried a new DC cable

I am not sure what you mean, which cable? Power cable, switch cable, etc.? 

However.....you need a new power plug. It probably comes as a unit with the cable. Unfortunately, from the video it appears that it is enclosed in a metal casing which probably (?) cannot be opened for servicing. If this were attached to an open, exposed circuit board, you might be able to repair the cracked connector with a dab of solder, I have done that many times. Check it out, it is hard to see from the  video. It appears that it simply plugs in to the power supply at the other end, so this is a simple replace and plug-in job.

Anyway, this is a common problem with laptops, and I have replaced several of these things. Try Amazon or Newegg, just search the make & model of your lap with the words, power cable connector, or something similar. Usually these are available, including generics at a lower cost. Not a difficult nor expensive fix.

I was referring to the entire cable I am holding in the pic. Anyways, I have managed to fix the problem by applying glue to the square connector portion. It turned out that the connector (the square portion) was fine but the socket was broken at the one side and therefore it wont stay in place. Nothing which glue cant fix ;)

Edited by IPLondon, 29 January 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

Yup; epoxy fixes a lot of stuff!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users